Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel on late 2011 mbp

my late 2011 mbp running 10.7.5 with 2.4 GHz i5 and 4GB which I bought last September is getting the spinning wheel. It only started recently and it makes my mbp lag for 3-5 seconds. If I click on anything or type, nothing would happena dn I would have to wait then everything would happen later. I don't see why this should be happening to a mbp which is over a year old. Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:38 PM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2013 7:44 PM in response to mbp-pi22

Back up your documents and everything else important to you, not that there is any reason to believe your hard disk may be failing, but the symptoms you describe may presage an impending disk failure, and you should have backups anyway.

Boot OS X Recoveryby holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac. At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, select Disk Utility. Select your startup volume (usually named "Macintosh HD") and click the Repair Disk button. Describe any errors it reports in red.

When it finishes restart your Mac and test again for operation. If it's still not behaving as you expect it should, please post the results of EtreCheck in accordance with the following instructions:

Apple Support Communities contributor etresoft wrote a very useful app to quickly gather certain system information that may help point to a cause of this problem. Go to his website, download and run EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Etrecheck will be in your Downloads folder. Open it from there. You may see the following dialog box:

User uploaded file

Click Open - etresoft contributes to this forum frequently and can be considered a trustworthy developer.

It will take a moment to run as it collects its data.

Copy and paste its output in a reply.

Do not be concerned about anything that says "Problem" or "failed".

EtreCheck was designed to remove any personal information (such as your computer's name and serial numbers) but if you see anything that looks like an email address or any other personal information that should not be divulged to others, please delete or obscure that information when you post the reply.

When you are finished with EtreCheck, quit the program. It occupies very little space, and you can keep it or drag it to the Trash as you wish.

Oct 18, 2013 5:43 PM in response to John Galt

There was nothing red that came up from the first part.

The lag has been getting worse. If my mbp lags then it does all of the commands at least 3-5 seconds late with the spinning wheel. I have to force quit my applications at times.

Here is the output from EtreCheck:

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2 cores

4 GB RAM

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 384 MB

System Software:

Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63) - Uptime: 0 days 0:3:53

Disk Information:

TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF disk0 : (500.11 GB)

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) /: 499.25 GB (455.02 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-8A8

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. iPhone

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple, Inc. MacBook Pro

Kernel Extensions:

Problem System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] ftp-proxy.plist

Problem System Launch Agents:

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

Launch Agents:

User Launch Agents:

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player

Internet Plug-ins:

Flash Player.plugin

FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

User Internet Plug-ins:

Bad Fonts:

None

Top Processes by CPU:

78% iTunes

5% WindowServer

2% mdworker

2% mds

1% hidd

1% SystemUIServer

1% EtreCheck

1% fontd

0% Microsoft PowerPoint

0% coreaudiod

Top Processes by Memory:

168 MB Microsoft PowerPoint

143 MB WebProcess

86 MB Safari

74 MB iTunes

57 MB WindowServer

41 MB Dock

41 MB mds

33 MB ReportCrash

25 MB SystemUIServer

20 MB Image Capture Extension

Virtual Memory Statistics

1.90 GB Free RAM

1.03 GB Active RAM

177 MB Inactive RAM

915 MB Wired RAM

302 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Oct 18, 2013 6:25 PM in response to mbp-pi22

Possible issues. (disconenct all other hardware and reboot to check if one of those is responsible)

1: You have a corrpted cache file(s).

2: You have some other OS X or program corruption issue. Your browser plug-ins appear to be outdated.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

3: You incured shock to your boot drive moving it while it was operating and the heads damaged data on the platters and OS X is having a hard time reading it.

4: You have some sort of hardware issue, including a dying drive. (they can go within the first year if they are factory defective in some manner, 1 year warranty will cover buy AppleCare for 3 years of coverage)

For 1-2 run through this list of fixes.

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

For #3, will require backing up just your files off the machine (you should have done that already) to a external storage drive (do not only use TimeMachine!) and require holding command r booting up into RecoveryHD and using Disk Utility to 3x Secure Erase your MacintoshHD parittion, reinstall OS X and programs then return your files only from the storage drive. (restore not from TimeMachine as it's corrupted data)

Reset your Mac

For #4 if #3 didn't work or froze while 3X secure erasing, then take it into Apple.

Spinning wheel on late 2011 mbp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.