Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Masking appears broken in my Motion 5

I am dumbfounded. I am a new Motion user and I've gone through tutorials and I am trying to make a mask.. and it seems that while I can make a mask, and in the thumbnail for the clip I am masking, it actually shows that the clip is masked, but in the preview window I just see the mask as the shape outline and that's it.. it isn't masking out the video.

I have looked at 5 youtube videos tutorials in Motion 5 and AS SOON as they make a circle mask immediately BOOM in the preview window the mask shows.

I went through all the preferences thinking that maybe something is set to not show masking in the preview window but I can't find anything.

Please help! Thanks

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 4:17 PM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2013 9:12 PM in response to hillie

Make sure you're actually using the Mask tool and not the regular shape tool. If you draw a regular shape with a black fill, it will look like masking in the thumbnail, but you can generally tell the difference in the canvas.

The Mask tools are selected from the icon the furthest to the right of the tools collection. The object to be masked must be selected in the Layers list.

Some objects do not allow shape masks. In those cases you need to right click on the layer and select Add Image Mask. Then, drag a regular shape onto the Mask layer to apply it.

HTH

Apr 10, 2015 11:10 AM in response to douglas57

It sounds like what you're trying to figure out is actually different than the OP and would be better served starting a new topic. They couldn't get masking to work at all (possibly because they were using a shape as opposed to a mask) and you sound like you're having trouble blurring a masked section of your clip.

Regardless, if what I assume is what you're trying to do is correct.

Make sure you apply the filter to the masked image and not the mask. In the example below, I'm tracking a mask to blur out the sponsor's name.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps (and was what you're trying to do).

Masking appears broken in my Motion 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.