Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the difference between original and modified?

Hi,

Because of a series of odd coincidences, I need to reconstruct my iPhoto library. The iPhoto directory is 'broken', apparently past the point of bring repaired. The disk utility can't do it, Disk Warrior can't do it, nor could the genius at the Apple Store, though to his credit he won't on it off and on for almost an entire day.

The images themselves are there on the drive, and I'm planning to reimport them a year at a time, and rebuild the directory manually.

My question is this: there are two folders containing the images, one labeled Original, one labeled Modified. At first glance, the meaning of those terms seems obvious -- one contains the original image, the other contains -- what? an actual modified image? Or just pointer to the changes I've made. For example, if I had cropped an image, what is in the second folder labeled Modified -- the cropped image, or the original image and a series of instructions on how to display it?

Put another way, what should I import into the 'new' iPhoto library? The originals? Or the Modified?

Thanks,

Hal

Note: The odd coincidence: For reasons unknown, the directory for my iPhoto library got corrupted, and couldn't be fixed. At almost the same time, the backup drive failed.

iMac; MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 6:33 PM

The original is as you suspect an exact copy of the original imported image - the modified is a preview of the current version with editing - to start over you should use the originals

LN

1 reply

what is the difference between original and modified?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.