Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight search will not respond

I recently updated my iPhone 4 from iOS 6.x to new iOS 7.02

Since the update, I'm unable to use the Spotlight Search function on the phone.

Yes, I fully understand how to access the function as we have several other iOS devices in our household. (some on iOS 6.x and others on iOS 7.02)

We have an iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, and an iPad (whatever the new one is) all with functional spotlight search within iOS 7.02

But the iPhone 4 will not work.

Unfortunately, when searching for help on this issue, almost all information is an explanation of the old method vs the new method.

Below are screenshots illustrating the behavior:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

First Screenshot: I have properly wiped down middle and successfully brought up the search bar and keyboard.

The search button in bottom right corner is properly grayed out as nothing has been input at the search bar.

Second Screenshot: I type in "app"

The search button in the bottom right corner is properly blue as input has been placed in the search bar.

Normally, I would expect the screen to populate with preliminary search "hits" which change dynamically as I type.

But, I get no reaction.

Third Screenshot: I have just pressed the blue search button and this screen is what shows.

At this point nothing happens, no search reaction of any sort is noticeable.

I wait several minutes, and search finally just crashes and disappears.

I am able to cancel the search an go back to the given home screen with no problem.

ANY SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE SEARCH WORK?

This is really difficult for me as I have a lot of apps (hundreds) and finding them is really much easier via search. 😟

Perhaps the great amount of apps present is messing up some sort of index function?

In trying to fix the problem, I have reset the phone. That did not work.

I have brought up the running apps and closed them all and then done a reset. That did not work.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!

By the way, closing running apps and resetting helped our iOS 6.02 iPhone 4s with a crashing of the stock camera app.🙂

It quit crashing after doing that procedure.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2, Recent upgrade from iOS 6.x

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 8:50 PM

5 replies

Oct 18, 2013 8:57 PM in response to bobx2

Might you be short on storage? Your second screen shot should have already shown some response to Spotlight, but it does not.

I'm noticing the 1,737 email mesages, the 185 App Store updates awaiting, etc. and thinking wow, these seem to suggest some attention might be due.

Have you checked Settings > General > Usage?

Oct 19, 2013 12:15 PM in response to sberman

sberman, Thanks for checking into my issue.

Yes - I do have a lot of non-updated apps and a healthy amount of email.

Hopefully that is not a contributing factor...

[ Insert your favorite "compulsive hoarding" humour here... ]

I have avoided many app updates because of my lack of space on the 16gb device.

If I go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > USEAGE,

I am able to see some info for about 1 second then crashes (every try).

I also get same crash when going to SETTINGS > GENERAL > ABOUT

From the quick peek that I am able to capture, I see about 1gb free space.

(Using windows explorer, I also see about 1gb space reported as available.)

User uploaded file

MORE INFO - maybe a reasonable workaround may be restoring the 4.

But I understand once you go to 7, you don't go back...

I just got a new 32gb 5s (note this is bigger than my current 16gb 4).

I plan to continue using the 4 like a iPod Touch (no cell service).

I was thinking that the transition from my old 4 to the new 5s would be smoother if my 4 was on iOS 7.02 also.

My theory is that it would likely be better to migrate data from one phone to other but staying on same OS version.

Maybe it does not matter (and I just caused a mess).

I have various full backups done directly on my local computer for my old iPhone 4.

I did local backups to my PC instead of iCloud (as I understand iCloud does not backup as much info as a local backup).

Hopefully this was an adequate precaution.

I did backup the 4 while still on iOS6.x

I did backup the 4 after updating to iOS 7.02

MAYBE EASIER WAY - just transfer to new 5s

And later clean up the old 4.

My big concern is that I might lose a bunch of data - not sure if all the stuff really is backed up.

Does third party app data also get backed up? (I was thinking that some does not).

I'd prefer to keep as much data as possible but will "amputate" if absolutely necessary.

BOTTOM LINE:

What would you think about this strategy?:

1) Transfer to new 5s with hopes that data arrives in happy form.

2) Hold on to 4 and confirm 5s is good.

3) Start the 4 over with fresh iOS 7.02 install

If my 5s carries the old stuff OK - I don't mind starting from zero on my old 4.

(and I do not hold you accountable or subject to voodoo doll manipulation if all is not perfect!)

THANK YOU!

Oct 19, 2013 1:53 PM in response to bobx2

1GB free on a 16GB device sounds like it is the cause of your issue. You should strive to have 2GB free at least ... I've seen a 15% free space recommendation.

Since your 5S will have twice the storage, that sounds excellent, and your bottom line strategy sounds excellent. I believe you will retain most if not all your third party app data. I wouldn't worry too much about which iOS version your iPhone 4 is on if you're going to stop using it. The 5S will make whatever adjustments need be made when retrieving the iOS 6 backup from the iPhone 4.

Enjoy your iPhone 5S!

spotlight search will not respond

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.