Skip navigation

How do I save a copy of an imovie project?

884 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 5:56 AM by John Cogdell RSS
nmakua Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 18, 2013 11:55 PM

I just completed a project in iMovie 11. I would like to save a copy of it that I can play around with and edit. I still want the original movie though. How do I save a copy of it?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • JungleTaxi Cabbie Level 2 Level 2 (400 points)
    Oct 22, 2013 8:59 AM (in response to nmakua)

This can be done by exporting the Project to QuickTime and saving it on your Desktop.

Once it's exported, just import it back into your event library and add it to a new project.

• John Cogdell Level 5 Level 5 (4,595 points)
    Oct 23, 2013 5:56 AM (in response to nmakua)

nmakua wrote:

I just completed a project in iMovie 11. I would like to save a copy of it that I can play around with and edit. I still want the original movie though. How do I save a copy of it?

In the Project Library view, click on the project that you wish to copy. From the iMovie menu, select File>Duplicate Project. An exact copy of the original project will be placed in the Project Library. It will have the same name as the original, but with a number appended (number 1 if this is the first duplicate). The duplicate can be renamed if desired. It can be edited in the normal way, without affecting the original project.

The duplicate will not take up much extra space on your Mac or external drive. Projects basically reference (link to) the associated clips in the Event (or Events) and don't contain actual video. The project file also contains information about edit points, transitions, titles, effects, music and so forth.

John

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Sony HDR-SR7 & DCR-TRV20E

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.