Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i just bought a mini raid (1T) and can't find where to format it for use on my desktop iMac. Can anyone help?

i just bought a Raid Mini (1T) and can't find how to format it for my iMac OS X 10.8.5. Can someone help!?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 10:36 AM

Open the Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

(91187)

4 replies

Oct 19, 2013 10:39 AM in response to h3lpphoto

It shouldn't need formatting. That should have been done to make the RAID. If you need to erase the RAID:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select the RAID volume you wish to format from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

Oct 19, 2013 12:08 PM in response to h3lpphoto

You will find three entries. Two will be ghosted. Those are the disks that are combined for the RAID. A third entry would be the RAID volume and would not be ghosted. If there is no third entry then it's possible the RAID has not been made.

Check the partition information for each drive to be sure it is for OS X. If it isn't, then each disk needs to be both partitioned and formatted to use with OS X. Then you create a RAID volume using the RAID tab in the Disk Utility toolbar.

i just bought a mini raid (1T) and can't find where to format it for use on my desktop iMac. Can anyone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.