4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2013 12:08 PM by Kappy
h3lpphoto Level 1 (0 points)

i just bought a Raid Mini (1T) and can't find how to format it for my iMac OS X 10.8.5. Can someone help!?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
  • Niel Level 10 (298,728 points)

Open the Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

(91187)

• Kappy Level 10 (266,058 points)

It shouldn't need formatting. That should have been done to make the RAID. If you need to erase the RAID:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select the RAID volume you wish to format from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

• h3lpphoto Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, Niel and Kappy, i am in DU/Erase and the RAID is found in the left column but it appears it is not able to be erased. The 'Format' and 'Name' lines are grayed out. Any other ideas?

• Kappy Level 10 (266,058 points)

You will find three entries. Two will be ghosted. Those are the disks that are combined for the RAID. A third entry would be the RAID volume and would not be ghosted. If there is no third entry then it's possible the RAID has not been made.

Check the partition information for each drive to be sure it is for OS X. If it isn't, then each disk needs to be both partitioned and formatted to use with OS X. Then you create a RAID volume using the RAID tab in the Disk Utility toolbar.