Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac keeps restarting after install

Ok my mac has been running really slow for about a year, I've tried all sorts but always getting the scrolling wheel, I'm on mountain lion and installed the original install disc leopard and clicked install, it's now turning itself off over and over again for the past hour is this normal? I have nothing on there I want to keep it's all backed up, will it reboot soon, cheers

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 1:17 PM

8 replies

Oct 19, 2013 2:48 PM in response to rrrayvon

Try booting from the Install Disc by holding c key at bootup.

You'll have to erase the drive.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

Oct 19, 2013 3:12 PM in response to BDAqua

I put the install disk in and clicked on install, it then turned off and then keeps chiming and going to grey screen then turning off, been doing this for 2 hours hours, the leopard disk is in it's spinning then shuts off, I have nothing on the mac that I need it's all backed up just don't know what to do at this stage

Oct 19, 2013 3:26 PM in response to rrrayvon

CCould this be the wrong Install Disc for this Mac?

Hold alt key at bootup, what choices does it show?

Oh, do you have Firmware Protection set?

Firmware password protection in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

It would block usage of all the startup keys, like C, N, T, D, CMD+s, CMD+Option+p+r, CMD +v, Option boot will show a lock, and Shift, as well as booting from anything but the Hard Drive.

Oct 19, 2013 3:40 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok right i have managed to get the mac osx utilities screen up showing

Restore from back up

Reinstall mac osx lion

Get help online

Disk utility

I click on mac osx reinstall and it has a lock thing on the hard drive

I bought this origninally with leopard disk and original disks and upgraded through apple on the other op systems where should j go from here into disk utility?

Mac keeps restarting after install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.