Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Instrument tracks resetting when changing buffer size?

Hello,

I am working with a Satellite UAD card which requires one to set the minimum buffer setting to 512 within Logic. Since I can't record everything at this buffer setting, I record at 128 instead. When I change the buffer to 512 for mixing purposes with the UAD, all of the Software Instrument settings (e.g. Omnisphere, Kontakt, etc.) reset. The MIDI information is still present, but, the settings are all lost. This 'phenomenon' only occurs with third party plugins on software instruments...no problems with Logic's instruments. This is definitely a problem with Logic X since the problem existed before I purchased my UAD card.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Logic 10.0.3

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 3:55 AM

That is just how it works: when changing buffer size, coreaudio has to reboot. This means loading any sampled instrument again. This also happens with EXS24 instruments, it's not a 3rd party only thing.

You just have to make sure before changing buiffer size, that all your instrument settings are saved into their preset, then there's no problem.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2013 3:55 AM in response to cauchy

That is just how it works: when changing buffer size, coreaudio has to reboot. This means loading any sampled instrument again. This also happens with EXS24 instruments, it's not a 3rd party only thing.

You just have to make sure before changing buiffer size, that all your instrument settings are saved into their preset, then there's no problem.

Oct 20, 2013 7:06 AM in response to cauchy

What you see in the pic there, is the channel strip setting, containing all plugins including their current setting. That would be overkill. For soft synths it doesn't matter, none of their controls are reset on rebooting core audio, this only happens with sampled instruments that you've edited but not yet saved. If you don't have any, then you don't have to do anything before rebooting coreaudio within Logic.

Oct 20, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Eriksimon

Eriksimon wrote:

Is this in Logic X only because I'm not seeing this in Logic 9 under Snow Leopard.

All instruments including 3rd party hold edits when changing buffer size.

Oct 20, 2013 12:55 PM in response to Pancenter

You could be right, this is or used to be an issue with Kontakt , and I just developed a "better-save-than-be-sorry" ethic regarding any edits I made in a Kontakt instrument. But it could still be that the reloading after a core audio reboot refers to the sample mappings of the saved instrument, and not the last edits. I'll keep the saving twitch. But I guess I'll also try it out sometime this fall...

Software Instrument tracks resetting when changing buffer size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.