Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SPAM email purporting to be from Apple

Just received one, asking me to update my online access info or else!

Does Apple want me to do anything with this other than delete it?

Steve

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 3:52 PM

11 replies

May 6, 2017 1:10 AM in response to spraine

WARNING TO ALL APPLE USERS

I have received the most convincing email from iTunes asking to agree a subscription which is of course invalid. You agree or disagree with payment, when I followed through to cancel this subscription it asked me to verify all ID. At this point I stopped the action.

The point is - the website was almost identical to Apple, rolling screens etc. etc

Very convin

SO BEWARE!!!!

Oct 23, 2013 11:46 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

I find the Bounce featured to be quite effective.

What it's most effective for is sending spam to innocent people whose addresses have been forged as the 'From' address on the spam. Little spam actually uses a real return address - the idea is for you to click on links - so all you are doing is adding to the misery for people who have nothing to do with it. And the next time the same people spam you it's likely to be from a different 'From' address, so as to get round your filters.

Added to which if it does happen to be a real address it doesn't take very much sophistication at all to tell that the bounce is a fake. Anyone up to sending large amounts of spam is going to be able to do this - but in any case I doubt if any spammer would bother to remove a bounced address from a list of thousands.

Please don't bounce spam. I know it's a temptation, but please don't do it.

SPAM email purporting to be from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.