Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I do? Every "iPhoto Library Upgrader" I've downloaded fails to prepare the my iPhoto Library, so I can't open iPhoto any more.

What can I do? Every time I download & run "iPhoto Library Upgrader" it fails to "prepare" the my iPhoto Library, so I can't open iPhoto any more.

(My MacOS & iPhoto are the latest versions.)

Ever since my last upgrades, every time I try to open iPhoto, a Alert box pops up saying, "To open your library with this version of iPhoto, it first needs to be prepared. To prepare the library, use the iPhoto Library Upgrader", and it gives 2 options: a "Learn More" button or "Quit" (iPhoto) button. The "Learn More" button links to Apple's "iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader" page (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5037), but whenever I then download and run that page's linked app, the same thing happens all over again.

It does no good to rebuild the iPhoto Library (holding down the command & option keys while reopening iPhoto): the same thing happens.

It does no good to use iPhoto Library Manager (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) to rebuild the iPhoto Library, as was suggested elsewhere: the same thing happens.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 7:34 PM

13 replies

Oct 19, 2013 8:36 PM in response to LarryHN

I think this problem began after I used the app store to "upgrade all", and apparently the upgrades worked, because the versions listed for the Finder and for iPhone are the latest ones. In other words, I'm not trying to upgrade - I don't need to upgrade. I just need to open my iPhoto library with my current version of iPhoto. But apparently, before I can do that I've got to "prepare" the library by running "iPhoto Library Upgrader" - but that app never works.

Oct 21, 2013 12:54 AM in response to pzjxd

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Apr 2, 2014 12:58 PM in response to pzjxd

I want to add a solution for future mac users. I just bought a brand new macbook pro. I restored a backup from an old macbook pro which had the old iPhoto (7?). I got the same error message when launching the new iPhoto11 - that it needs to be upgraded and prepared. I downloaded the iPhoto library upgrader - installed it, and nothing else happened. iPhoto still would not launch. the STUPID THING IS - that iPhoto Library Upgrader went to my UTILITIES FOLDER - and I had to install that too.

Macintosh HD / Applications /Utilities/ iPhoto Library Upgrader.

I installed that, iPhoto finally launched and began to prepare my library. Over 15,000 photos took a couple of minutes to prepare (but i have the 16GB ram macbook pro).

that should have opened in a new my finder folder so I knew to install that as well. Now it works !

Sometimes apple is really stupid. Hope this helps someone.

Nov 12, 2014 11:02 AM in response to pzjxd

The best way to go about this issue is to manually goto your pictures folder on finder where you will find the iPhoto Library.

open it and you will be asked if you need to upgrade it. ( sometimes if might say that you dont need to upgrade ) but after it will automatically open the iphoto app.

after you close the app and reopen... it will work like a charm... :-)

hope this helps...

What can I do? Every "iPhoto Library Upgrader" I've downloaded fails to prepare the my iPhoto Library, so I can't open iPhoto any more.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.