Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook won't play sounds?

So I lent my macbook to my brother and he says he plugged in a speaker because the stock macbook ones weren't loud enough. Now my macbook won't play sounds at all and will only work with headphones. The input for the headphones glows red and the sound icon in the corner of the laptop is black and funtional when something is plugged in, but goes gray when i take it out and I can no longer click on it.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 9:09 PM

1 reply

Oct 23, 2013 12:32 PM in response to Mr.Kevs

Hey Mr.Kevs,

I would first be sure the Sound Preferences are correct:

1. Open System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
  2. Choose Sound from the View menu.
  3. Click the Output tab to select output devices or the Input tab to select input devices.
  4. In the "Choose a device for sound output/input" area, select the device by clicking on it in the list. The selected device becomes highlighted.

Connecting headphones or external speakers to the front headphone jack automatically redirects audio to that port when you select either the internal speaker or the speakers of a 24-inch LED Cinema Display. When you unplug headphones or external speakers from the headphone jack, audio redirects back to the internal speaker or the speakers of a 24-inch LED Cinema Display. If the analog audio line-out port, optical digital audio out port, or USB and FireWire devices are selected, connecting headphones or external speakers to the front headphone jack will not redirect the audio.

via: Mac Pro: Audio may not switch when new devices are connected

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2844

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Best,

Delgadoh

My macbook won't play sounds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.