Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing an SD card or USB stick across the network

Why won't OSX allow me to share a USB drive or SD card across my network? I can plug it into my Mac, go to System Preferences > Sharing, and add the card/stick/whatever as a Shared Folder, but the ' + - ' buttons allowing me to assign users to it are ghosted. Therefore it appears on my local network but it's inaccessible.

It's not the end of the world but it's not what I expected from "the world's most advanced desktop operating system". In fact it's something a PC could do at least three generations of Windows ago.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 3:43 PM

I'm sure you didn't intend that to sound like a smart-*** Apple Fan Boy answer, but either way, it didn't really help.

It just came across in a kind of patronising way that if a Mac won't allow me to do something then I darn-well shouldn't want to do it. I'm sorry but that's rather lame and if Apple really think that way, then no wonder they're a minority player in the desktop market, because users' needs cannot be so easily pre-prescribed.

It's a fairly basic request. My computer should be able to share a stick or drive across my network.

What's the point in allowing me to add it to the Shared Folder list if I can't add users to it and share it?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2013 3:43 PM in response to arthur

I'm sure you didn't intend that to sound like a smart-*** Apple Fan Boy answer, but either way, it didn't really help.

It just came across in a kind of patronising way that if a Mac won't allow me to do something then I darn-well shouldn't want to do it. I'm sorry but that's rather lame and if Apple really think that way, then no wonder they're a minority player in the desktop market, because users' needs cannot be so easily pre-prescribed.

It's a fairly basic request. My computer should be able to share a stick or drive across my network.

What's the point in allowing me to add it to the Shared Folder list if I can't add users to it and share it?

Oct 20, 2013 7:30 PM in response to Cruurakd778

Maybe it's that way for a reason.

I can see that limiting sharing of a card/stick/whatever could be a good security precaution- so somebody can't just plug one into your computer and have it spread all over your network.

Seems like it's straightforward enough to just put the files on your HD and share them.

If a PC can do it and a Mac can't, there's probably a really good reason for it.

Oct 22, 2013 4:04 AM in response to Cruurakd778

Have you enabled sharing on the device or specific folders?

Select Get Info for the device or desired folders. In the window

that gets displayed, in the upper part there is a check box

labeled "Shared Folder" and click it to enable. If you only

want to enable specific users access and how they can access,

at the bottom of the same box edit the Sharing & Permissions list.

Simply adding it to Sharing only makes it visible on the network.

You need to enable sharing on the drive/folder itself.

Oct 22, 2013 9:31 AM in response to woodmeister50

Hi Woodmeister50 that's a fair point. So brimming with enthusiasm I used Get Info and enabled sharing on every single file and folder on the whole stick, folder by folder. Guess what difference it made. Yep. None. But once again I appreciate the time you spent trying to help.

EDIT: forgot to mention, when I use Get Info on any file or folder, it just says "you can read and write" under 'Sharing & Permissions' at the bottom, even with the 'Shared Folder' checkbox checked further up. There are no options to add users. This obviously is the problem, but I don't know how to get round it.

Oct 22, 2013 9:55 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad. I have a Netgear 2200 and you're right it does permit this function, but for my particular purpose I'd prefer to share my memory stick via my Mac so that at least my Mac is accessing it directly.

I really thought it would take me seconds to enable all this. I am amazed how this 'World's Most Advanced Desktop Operating System' is making a meal out of such a banal almost trivial functionality.

Oct 22, 2013 10:06 AM in response to Cruurakd778

One approach is to create a user account on your Mac (not an admin account) so others can log into that account and they will be able to access the EHD from there. I have a FW EHD setup that way and when the other Mac on the network logs into the account they have the option of mounting that account (clyde) or the shared EHD (Toad's Cellar)User uploaded file

Oct 22, 2013 10:18 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Toad I've tried that but it still does not allow people to access files or folders on my attached USB drive.

Getting nowhere fast I'm afraid.

It looks to be something that Mac's just can't do.

So why on earth Get Info and Prefs > Sharing allows me to check it as shared and add the drive and/or its subfolders as Shared Folders is anyone's guess.

Sharing an SD card or USB stick across the network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.