Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi all! I have one of the 27" iMacs that has the video problem: "AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program" and I need some advice.

I brought it to the Apple Store in Brandon, FL last Thursday, and explained what goes on with it (goes to a white screen after seeing the Apple boot-up logo) and goes no further. The employee who checked it in VERIFIED the same. Well they shut it off and the tech that is working on it now can't duplicate the problem. I explained that I couldn't get it to boot and they said all their tests say it is fine. I was wondering what should be my next steps. I have Apple Care on it for the next 11 months. Should I call California tomorrow and make a stink? I don't feel as If I should have to pay the $400 to change it out.

Any advice? Thanks in advance...

Dan Reilly

PS: This is the first time in ten years that I ever had a problem.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 8:12 AM

Your advice is to follow the instructions noted in the OS X: iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program, if you follow them closely your late 2011 27" iMac with the Radeon 6970m video card will be handled. If necessary when you take it in bring the URL to the visit so the Genius can see the recall program, and if necessary politely request to speak to the manager.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Daniel Reilly

Your advice is to follow the instructions noted in the OS X: iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program, if you follow them closely your late 2011 27" iMac with the Radeon 6970m video card will be handled. If necessary when you take it in bring the URL to the visit so the Genius can see the recall program, and if necessary politely request to speak to the manager.

Oct 20, 2013 3:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for the responses. They called this afternoon and said it is not a hardware problem but a software problem. (I completely disagree.). So they asked permission to clean install the OS and I said yes. Have not heard back from them. I'm a little annoyed that the working tech does not believe me or the tech that signed it in. Here's to hoping I don't have to call California in the morning.

Dan

Nov 5, 2013 2:11 PM in response to Daniel Reilly

Ok as a final follow-up... It wasn't a software issue. After I got it back and let it run for a day or two the screen went white again. I called Apple Care in California and they made arraignments for them to replace the Video board. They changed it out and all seems pretty good for the moment.

Be polite whe you call Apple Care and they always do the right thing.

Dan

Nov 23, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Daniel Reilly

Im having the exact same problem, but in Buenos Aires

Sadly, there are some import problems in my country, so no official sevice can replace the graphic card here, or thats what they say

Im kind in the need of an official answer. The "throw it to the trash" answer that im getting so far is not enough for me

What they are saying on every retail store in Buenos Aires is that Apple wont send them a new graphic card

I also read that there is (or was), some kind of replacement program for this issue

Its an Mid 2011 27" Imac

Help please

Thanks

Joe

Nov 23, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Otileoj

Joe,

Yes there was a replacement program for the card, please follow the link I provided in my Oct 20, 2013 8:12 AM post above.

I would recommend you contact Apple's representative for South America and see if they have some insight they can offer. I know Argentina currently does not have any Apple Stores however I believe there may be plans for one eventually, likely in Buenos Aires. Until then the locations that service iMacs in your area can be found at:

https://locate.apple.com/ar/es/service/?pt=4&lat=-34.565383&lon=-58.4527588

BTW, I was in Argentina this past January for the first time. We were there about 3 weeks and spent time in Buenos Aires, Patagonia (all over including Mt. Fitz Roy, the Glaciers, the lakes district etc), on the ocean in Mar del Plata, and of course we had to visit Iguazu Falls up north. You have a beautiful country!

Nov 23, 2015 4:07 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I followed your link, but yet, there is still the problem that apparently, no parts are available in Buenos Aires

I´ve talked to Apple support by phone, and one solution we have found is to go to an apple store in another country and buy the part personally.

That I can do

Ill be in the US in January so Im gonna try that

The thing is, how do I knowwich store has the part? Couldnt find an email to write in any store sites

Do Apple Stores sell parts individually?

Glad you liked Argentina, next time, you should go souther, to Ushuaia, and norther, to Salta and Jujuy, great places

Thanks again for your help

Nov 23, 2015 4:15 PM in response to Otileoj

You cannot buy parts from Apple directly, what I would recommend is contacting an Apple Authorized Service Provider in the area of the US you will be visiting. You can use the following link to locate some and if necessary call or e-mail them.

https://locate.apple.com/country

As for Ushuaia, we have family that lived there the past 15-20 years and considered going simply did not make it. 😢. They recently relocated to Mar del Plata and also served as our tour guides. If you know people there the family last name is Gamenara.

Hi all! I have one of the 27" iMacs that has the video problem: "AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program" and I need some advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.