Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to locally sync an iPhone with OS X Mavericks? iCloud is NOT an option.

I read that OS X Mavericks will no longer allow me to use iTunes to sync my iPhone to a local system but makes iCloud mandatory? Is that correct?

iCloud is not a valid option for me since I have no control about my data there, I need to keep all my data (contacts, calendar...) on a system under my control and so far iTunes allowed me to do that which was one of the reasons I didn't even consider Android or Windows Phone.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 8:54 AM

3,162 replies

Nov 4, 2013 7:27 AM in response to AndyD

Hi Andy!

After reading through this thread, and being extremely frustrated at this mandatory iCould syncing issue, I decided I wished to downgrade back to Mountain Lion. As I had a backup done just prior to upgrading to Mavericks, I restored this to my HD after starting up from Recovery disk (accessed through starting with option key pressed). It did take 5 hours, but now I'm happy back to Mountain Lion and able to sync my iOS devices through USB.

I would like to send a message to Apple asking for a Mavericks update enabling USB-syncing.

How could all the people concerned with this get together to ask the same?

Have a great day, and do try to restore to Mountain Lion if you can!

Berlugana

Jun 18, 2018 4:42 PM in response to rshuang208

rshuang208 wrote:

i've already signed the petition... if this option is not put back, i'm going with android!!!

How would that help you? Android doesn't include native local sync either... Google expects you to sync with their cloud.

Jan 17, 2017 9:50 AM in response to ChrisW£

It seems snozdop, petermac87, Meg St._Clair and kiltedtim (and now Csound1) cannot understand what's goign on here and the logic behind that. Enough links and proof was brought up but they resist to connect the dots. I have little hope that there's the chance of helping them out on this. Calling people who are willing to keep control over their private data "paranoid" is disrespectful and unhelpful in every way. The comments by those people are classic troll comments discrediting valid user worries.

DiederikStaay: I suggest we all just acknowledge the existance of KiltedTim, Snozdog, Petewhatever and the likes of them and leave them be. We can discuss this while skipping their contributions. Ignore is the way to go.

-> sounds like the best we can make of this. Let's ignore them.

RobertRTillman: Thanks. Absolutely true and valid post 09.11.2013 07:23. You speak my mind.

Jun 18, 2018 4:42 PM in response to Gerrit7

A question to all those here who use 'Privacy' and 'Control of data' as their reasons for wanting to retain USB sync of contacts and calendars...

Do you use email? If so, do you host your own local SSL-enabled email server that never sends emails outside of your local network to guarantee yourself the same security and privacy a local USB sync of contacts and calendars does?

I ask because email frequently contains contact and calendar data, and lots of other even more confidential personal data included in the correspondence between you and the family, friends, companies and organisations you deal with on a daily basis.

Which email providers give you the same security and privacy assurances that a local USB sync of contacts and calendars gives you?

Oct 20, 2013 9:00 AM in response to Gerrit7

You must have iTunes 11.1 on your Mac to Sync. If your Mac is too old to use an OS X that will support the latest iTunes, then you will need to sync with iCloud or get a Mac that can support an OS X that can support iTunes 11.1, or use a PC that will support iTunes 11.1. iCloud Backup is secure and your iPhone can be set to do Auto-Backup each night.

Oct 20, 2013 8:59 AM in response to Gerrit7

Gerrit7 wrote:

I read that OS X Mavericks will no longer allow me to use iTunes to sync my iPhone to a local system but makes iCloud mandatory? Is that correct?

Discussion of beta software isn't permitted in the general forums. We're all just going to have to wait and see what the final release of Mavericks looks like.

Everything that is publicly know about Mavericks is here:

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Best of luck.

Oct 23, 2013 1:58 AM in response to Gerrit7

Could you guys please answer Gerrit7's question!

From what I understand the answer is YES: in Mavericks there is no longer a way to sync any i-device except through the cloud.

I use BusyCal and Missing Sync, and both companies have confirmed that syncing in Mavericks (using standard software) can only be done with a cloud service.

You can look at

https://support.markspace.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticl eid=615

and at

https://support.busymac.com/help/10983-upgrading-to-busycal-2-5

Speaking to support of BusyMac, I obtained the information that for calendars it is still possible to run a calDAV server under your own control, and sync through that.

For contacts, apps, notes and the like the only way is the cloud, and I suspect only Apple's iCloud.

I fully agree with Gerrit7 that this is NOT acceptable. I want control over my data. The argument that iCloud is secure is NOT an answer to his question as he clearly stated that was not an option. It is not for me either: I will not go around with a leash around my neck.

I will probably set up a calDAV server on my home LAN's linux server, so I can still do it off-net.

For the other data I will have these options:

(1) switch to linux everywhere (but what a chore...)

(2) stay with Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion (the latter being a pest too) but that is fragile in the longer term

(3) write my own sync software, but this will also mean I have to write my own apps for my mobile devices.

Solution 3 is a real chore, and the resulting software would not be sharable since it would not pass the App Store requirements. I would have to run it for myself only. It can be done though, relatively easily, using a combination of Applescript and LiveCode.

Oct 23, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Gerrit7

Just to make sure everyone understands where I am coming from...

I don't live in the USA, so using iCloud to sync very private data (contacts, notes, calendar...) would mean to have that data be stored on a server under someone else's control in another country with quite different laws concerning access to it.

This is just not acceptable for me.

Local sync through iTunes via cable or WLAN to my MBP works for me so far without having to go through the pain of setting up some 3rd party software or go without sync.

Oct 23, 2013 8:34 AM in response to Gerrit7

The same here. Google lives from that data, so it's clear they want everything. But we are paying thousands of $ each year to Apple. This is really outrageous. They had the technology to keep your data on your devices, it was working.

Apple is from a country which secret services are not trustworthy as has been proved. Most other services which the iOS devices support are based in that same country.

Oct 23, 2013 8:49 AM in response to KiltedTim

I have a MacBook Pro, AppleTV, iPhone, iPad, Magic Mouse, TimeCapsule, intl. power adapter, 2 smart covers, AppleCare, lots of paid apple software, etc. If I sum it up ad divide it over the time I use it, I'm certainly slightly over 1000$ a year. Many of the Apple users I know are in teh same region.

Maybe you only have an iPhone and don't replace it every year (neither do I, btw).

How to locally sync an iPhone with OS X Mavericks? iCloud is NOT an option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.