Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Keyboard won't pair with new Windows 8.1 update

I just updated to Windows 8.1 on my PC last night. I made sure my IOGear bluetooth dongle has the latest driver. Windows Bluetooth settings see the keyboard but when I click "Pair" it soon says "That didn't work" and gives me an option to try again. It fails everytime.

I've checked for more updates and restarted a few times too.

I've been using the Apple keyboard happily with Windows 8.0 for at least a year.

Please advise; I thought there'd be many with this issue with the new W8.1 update but I can't find anyone else discussing it.

On a side note I put my keybard serial number into the Apple support system and it says "The serial number entered in this request is not valid." Not sure why; I guess it's just no longer supported?

Apple keyboard-OTHER, Windows 8, Windows 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 9:23 AM

27 replies

Oct 20, 2013 11:23 AM in response to kellyllek

On a side note I put my keybard serial number into the Apple support system and it says "The serial number entered in this request is not valid." Not sure why; I guess it's just no longer supported?

Apple does not maintain a database of peripheral devices.

The Windows thing would be best explored with Microsoft. As you might guess, not many people run Windows and post on this site.

Barry

Apr 1, 2014 3:11 AM in response to kellyllek

Facing the exact dame problem. Keyboard shows nicely in devices list and seems ready to pair. When pairing in progress it suddenly cancels with an error message 'device no longer listening'. Kind of annoying when this is your only keyboard in place. Screen keyboard will work fine for login, but not for typing of any other kind. Hope someone will come up with a solution soon!

Apr 8, 2014 8:20 AM in response to kellyllek

Hi All,

This is what did the trick for me:

1. Pair/unpair Apple Wireless keyboard with all devices it's been paired with in the past inclusing Windows, Mac OSX and iPad(s) (important!);

2. Remove wireless keyboards batteries for a couple of minutes;

3. Pair the keyboard again in Mac OSX (I did this in 10.9);

4. Rename the Wireless keyboard back to original name: "Apple Wireless Keyboard" (if you have changed the device name in the past);

5. Connect a windows compatible keyboard (and if preferred mouse) to mac and boot to windows;

6. Unpair all known devices in windows devices panel;

7. Run all windows updates and reboot windows;

8. Log in with the secundairy keyboard and add the wireless keyboard and other devices again.

This time, in my case, it didn't jump to any connection error, and I was able to type the numbers asked by the devices pane.

Hope it works for you guys aswel!

Apr 14, 2014 2:36 AM in response to kellyllek

Hi Guys,

Try this if your still having problem pairing.

1. Go to Control Panel, click on Device Manager

2. Under Bluetooth, Right click on Apple Broadcom Bult-in Bluetooth

3. Select Uninstall, Click ok

4. It should update itself and you'll see Apple Wireless Keyboard under Bluetooth, otherwise go to Action, select Scan for hardware changes

5. Now turn on your Apple Wireless Keyboard and try to pair it again. It should pair and install withouth a problem

Good luck!!

Jul 12, 2014 5:19 PM in response to kellyllek

I'm having this problem too. No amount of uninstalling the BT drivers in control panel / device manager, restarting the keyboard, renaming the keyboard, re-installing the drivers has any effect.

My guess is that the 8.1 update fundamentally broke something and we need a genuine Microsoft or Apple fix. Which would mean one of those titans would need to acknowledge some kind of mistake. For my money, I suspect MS broke it, but Apple will need to fix with a new boot camp release, which we can expect in 2016.

What annoys me is that I've got a) a wasted investment in a keyboard I can't use, and b) cables now running across my desk. This isn't the Just Works I'm expecting. I'm wondering if there's a compelling business case here to return to W7 - spending hours on hours on hours of my time trying to debug this isn't how I want to spend my weekends.

Apple Keyboard won't pair with new Windows 8.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.