Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 2006 crashed, bought 2009 model, problems with Timemachine and OS X

Hi,

My 2006 Imac crashed, so i bought a 2009 model. This model had only Snow Leopard on it.

When i started the computer i had the option to connect with my time machine, so i did.

All my files did tranfer to the "new" Imac, but..... i forgot my pasword to enter my imac.

I looked this up on the internet and managed to change my password, but..... i now cannot open mail, launchpad, missioncontrol, appstore, facetime and also itunes. I think because my Imac is running on Snow Leopard and not Lion, wich i bought after Show Leopard.

Why didn't time machine changed his OSX to Lion?

I can't find my LION disc, so i think i bought this online via appstore, but i cannot open the appstore app on my computer now.

I think when re-download Lion via appstore, my programs will work again.

But i can't visit the app store to re-download, and the only disc i have is snow leopard.

Can somebody help me out.

Gr.

Bert

iMac, OSX Snow Leopard update to Lion

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 12:34 PM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2013 6:19 PM in response to A.C. from NL

10.6.6 is requires for the App Store. 10.7 is only available on the App Store. Once 10.7 is installed on a Mac, it gets an invisible restore partition that is available by booting command-R. Caution, 10.7 is not compatible with pre-2006 applications known as PowerPC applications, without extensive hacking.

Go to Apple menu -> About This Mac to determine what you presently have installed. If it is 10.6.5 or earlier, upgrading to 10.6.6 will fix the issue of no App Store.

Also note, your 2006 machine may still be usable. You have not yet told us the nature of the "crash." Many people think once a crash, and you can't use it anymore.

That just is not true. Any Mac older than 4 years has a common enemy. It is known as the PRAM battery or capacitor. Once it gets that old, just replacing it fixes a vast majority of issues. See my FAQs on upgrading ot 10.6 and 10.7 before jumping the gun.

Oct 20, 2013 8:00 PM in response to a brody

Hi,

My Leopard disk is version is 10.6.3. i've updated via internet to10.6.8.

Still the app store icon, lauchpad, misionscontrol, facetime don't work, also itunes and email.

I think because those programs are updated to work with Lion and not Snow Leopard.

I selected the time machine option, when i started configure this old 2009 computer with only Snow Leopard on it, This worked for the programs and files, but nog the OSX. I think because that was version 10.6.3.

I also cannot use time machine now. When i want back in time before my crash in time machine, and try to use that setting, i cannot sellect this. Maybe because this is another computer?

Is it possible to copy the Macintosh HD files from time machinebefore the crash, to my harddisk with finder. It should have the OSX Lion in one of these files it i quess.....

Imac 2006 crashed, bought 2009 model, problems with Timemachine and OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.