Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading iTunes

Alright, so I downloaded iOS7 for my iPhone 4 and long story short, it completey ruined my phone and I need to re-download iOS 6.1.3 and install it which wouldn't be a problem HOWEVER; I recently got a new computer (windows 8) and downloaded iTunes 11 to it and even after uninstalling iTunes entirely and downloading the proper version of iTunes 10.7 and successfully installing it, it said that "the file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes" is there anything I can do to get it open?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 1:30 PM

Well, use iTunes 11. The message tells you that the library was created with a newer version of iTunes, so the library now needs iTunes 11 in order to work correctly. The Library now has information within it that iTunes 10 doesn't understand.

I don't understand why you need to use an earlier version of iTunes if it was "iOS 7 that mucked up your phone". The two things are completely separate.

You should re-install iTunes 11, and then concentrate on why your phone isn't behaving the way you expect, but without blaming iTunes. Create a post (in the iPhone dicussions area) that discusses your phone issue.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2013 1:30 PM in response to EmilyM3315

Well, use iTunes 11. The message tells you that the library was created with a newer version of iTunes, so the library now needs iTunes 11 in order to work correctly. The Library now has information within it that iTunes 10 doesn't understand.

I don't understand why you need to use an earlier version of iTunes if it was "iOS 7 that mucked up your phone". The two things are completely separate.

You should re-install iTunes 11, and then concentrate on why your phone isn't behaving the way you expect, but without blaming iTunes. Create a post (in the iPhone dicussions area) that discusses your phone issue.

Oct 20, 2013 5:23 PM in response to EmilyM3315

EmilyM3315 wrote:

Alright, so I downloaded iOS7 for my iPhone 4 and long story short, it completey ruined my phone and I need to re-download iOS 6.1.3 and install it

There is not now, nor has there ever been a supported way to downgrade the iOS on any iOS device.

Therefore there is no need to spend time trying to downgrade iTunes on the computer.

Downgrading iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.