Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding and Deleting Backups

In an attempt to make better use of my Time Capsule space and free up space on my laptop, I moved my iTunes library. Thinking that would free up gigs of space I checked out the numbers on my HD and saw that 70 gigs of space are being devoted to backups. Currently my Time Machine points to the Time Capsule for backups. So I'd like to delete the 70 gigs of backups on my hard drive. But I am at a loss as to how to find those back up files. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 5:15 PM

You do not need to do anything.

Backup data will appear temporarily on your MacBook when your Backup Drive is not available.

After your Backup Drive becomes available, they are designed to be deleted automatically over a period of time. Also, if your Mac needs more drive space, those local Backup files are immediately sacrificed to provide the requested space.

The late James Pond wrote this excellent illustrated description:

What are Local Snapshots?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2013 5:15 PM in response to Centiemme

You do not need to do anything.

Backup data will appear temporarily on your MacBook when your Backup Drive is not available.

After your Backup Drive becomes available, they are designed to be deleted automatically over a period of time. Also, if your Mac needs more drive space, those local Backup files are immediately sacrificed to provide the requested space.

The late James Pond wrote this excellent illustrated description:

What are Local Snapshots?

Finding and Deleting Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.