Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't go to sleep

Won't stay in sleep mode

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 6:08 PM

6 replies

Oct 20, 2013 6:32 PM in response to wombat7831

Reset the SMC, as per > Resetting the System Management Controller

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that doesn't help, work thru > Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode

Then if nothing there helps, also try > Resetting your printing system

Oct 21, 2013 9:34 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the response, but that didn't work. I have a standard iMac with wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. I put the iMac into sleep mode, and turn off the mouse when I'm done working, and after a few minutes of no activity, the keyboard turns itself off. What is happening is the Bluetooth Setup Assistant doesn't detect the mouse or keyboard because they've been turned off, and the annoying pop-up comes on, waking up the system. The pop-up stays on all night and causes a bit of screen "burn", not to mention the annoying hum of the fan.

What DID work is setting up the Bluetooth configuration correctly. Go to System Preferences/Bluetooth/ Advanced; unclick the settings that say "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no keyboard is detected" and "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no mouse or trackpad is detected."

Now, the iMac goes to sleep when I tell it to go to sleep. I wish my niece and nephew would do the same...

iMac won't go to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.