Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot passcode and cannot restore without turning off 'Find My iPod'

Hi,

I have a really big problem. So basically first I changed my passcode. This is normally not a problem but I happened to be so tired that I had total amnesia and I have absolutely no idea what I could have changed it to etc. Naturally the first thing I tried to do was to restore my iPod, but I got the message, 'Find My iPod must be turned off before "iPod" can be restored.' Obviously this is my first problem - I can't turn off my iPod because I can't access my iPod.

After doing some research, I found that I could access iCloud online and I that I can turn off 'Find My iPod' from there. Unfortunately I had lots of problems with iCloud and basically it kept saying something like 'Cannot Connect'. So I managed to log in to iCloud on another computer and do it from there. I think the options were 'Delete' and 'Erase'. I chose to delete it because I wasn't absolutely sure I wanted to completely remove all the data. However, now when I go into iTunes and attempt to restore it it gives me the same message about needing to turn off 'Find My iPod'. The second problem I had was that when I returned to iCloud it told me that I had no devices. The only way for me to register my iPod back with iCloud was by accessing the device (which I can't do) and turning it on from there.

Ignoring that I tried to go back and restore my iPod. I did some more research and decided that it would be best for me to put my iPod into 'Recovery Mode'. By this point I was ready to try anything, so I was going to remove all data and restore it to a previous point later. My third problem I came across was that when I tried to restore, it first told me that I had to download a software update (even though I already had iOS 7) and go from there. Additionally, because recently the only access i have been available to is very slow Wi-FI, the software update was going to take 59 hours to download.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 10:13 PM

14 replies

Oct 26, 2013 10:12 PM in response to lllaass

I tried doing that but when it tried to back up my device it said that it needs me to enter my passcode, which I can't do. At that point it just cancelled the whole thing so I'm still on 7.0.2 instead of 0.3.

Is there any way I can re-add my device to iCloud from a computer? I accidentally deleted my device from iCloud instead of removing it, and now for some reason my iPod is still registered with Find My iPod even though I deleted it.

Oct 27, 2013 3:08 AM in response to eggs-stir-milk-bake

Try restoring your ipod

Put your device in DFU mode( hold the power and home button for 10 seconds then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button for another 10 seconds.) iTunes should have detected you ipod in recovery mode and it tells you to restore, just click on restore. If you don't want to upgrade to ios 7.0.3 then download you iPod touch 5g ios 7.0.2 firmware then hold down shift on PC and command on Mac and press restore. Then select you ipod 5g ios 7.0.2 if firmware.

Forgot passcode and cannot restore without turning off 'Find My iPod'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.