Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV stops playback and goes to menu

Hi, I'm having an intermitent problem with my apple TV since last update. When playing any content (TV/movie) I select the item, choose to play it, it is authorised, starts buffering and playing and then at some point the program stops and the apple tv main menu appears. It then means when restarting watching the program or movie that it has not saved the point at which I reached and I have to forward wind through the item.

I have checked my router settings and reset the router, nothing makes a difference. I have watched a whole movie without it happening and then today when watching a 45 minute TV episode, gave up after 10 minutes as it happened three times. It has happened with other movies also, very intermitently.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it?

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 12:09 AM

12 replies

Oct 21, 2013 8:03 AM in response to open critic

Yes, I have this problem. My ATV worked as advertised before the update, not so much anymore. Eventually, I became frustrated enough to do a restore through iTunes. Waste of time. Seems the ATV likes to sporadically drop network connection or ignore it entirely.

One solution I've found is choosing "forget network" (even though the signal shows a good connection), followed by a restart of ATV, then reconnect to the network. However, this is a temporary fix and I am prepared to try this every time I use the ATV.

Another solution is to turn off my Airport, restart the ATV, then turn the Airport on.

Sometimes I get frustrated enough to be tempted to try another restore. Thankfully I have books, and a girlfriend that likes to play chess, so I have other options.

Nov 5, 2013 2:26 AM in response to Will Clark

Ok, so having confirmed this problem only occurs when I open my macbook air whilst watching a film/program on ATV I found that ensuring iTunes is closed, so that when you reopen your Mac (having not shut it down) the problem does not occur.

If I then start iTunes on my mac whilst watching ATV, the problem occurs.

I've turned off all file sharing through my Mac preferences and this stops the problem occuring just by opening my Mac, but 'm not sure I can do anything to iTunes to stop that interrupting ATV. Not that I should have to of course.

So, solved it temporarily but Apple need to figure this out as it means I can't use certain things on my Mac whilst watching ATV..... silly.

Nov 5, 2013 6:02 AM in response to open critic

For me that can't be the issue since I am not running any other computers at the time.

I am running an iMac with 10.6.8 and iTunes 11

The only thing I can still try for me is changing the screen saver time. I have already reset everything on the atv and I did a complete reinstall of the os on the imac. Set the prefs to computer never sleep so the only other thing I can think of is if the screen saver coming on is triggering it.

I don't think so but that's my last test to run when I get some time.

Oh and for me the menu comes up 99% of the time within the 5-10 minute mark.

Apple TV stops playback and goes to menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.