Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault 2: Sleep Mode Issues

Hey guys,

ever since I turned on FileVault 2 on my Retina Macbook I am seeing a few strange issues related to sleep mode.

At first it looked like the machine wasn't going to sleep at all when closed as there was no pulsing LED, but there's also none when put to sleep via the menu bar. Then when woken up, there's no cursor in the password input box, I have to click and move the mouse a little to activate it.

Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks in advance,

v

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 13", 3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 500GB SSD

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 4:45 AM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2015 9:28 AM in response to VandaI

Hello!

I don´t know how current this issue still is for people out there but for me it is and I want to share my experience with the apple support about this with you!

I have a MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 (Non-Retina) and every time I plug it in more than 4 hours (in my case overnight), It makes a sound when I either open the screen or unplug the charger and then it takes in total 2 minutes for the computer to start - first a black screen appears with the Apple-sign and a loading bar, then I have to wait until fully loaded. Once the computer shows my password I am able to type it in but it immediately wants me to type in my password again - but nothing except the mouse reacts! (i can't type, I can't click, nothing) Once the screen turns black again, i have to wake up the computer again and can type in my password and everything is normal. I have to do this every day...

I was pretty concerned about the noise since my hard drive was changed in early 2013 (after just a couple of months of using it!!) and I thought maybe something was wrong there but my apple service provider told me that I don`t have to worry - this is just the "Superdrive" waking up.

Anyway, i`ve been going back and forth for two month to the apple store - first they thought it was the battery, then they thought it was the charger - then they told me to install the system new on my computer.

So I did and finally! the problem was not there any more.

This magical feeling lasted about 3 days... and back to the Apple Store I went.

They took it in for the next two weeks and what happened next was just unbelievable! Somehow they figured out, that the Macbook Pro Mid-2012 Modell has this new "Hypernate"-Function and since I had "FileVault" turned on when I installed the system new, they think that this together with the new OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) Update causes my problem.

I called apple to let them know that I think this is a Production-Issue (Am I the only one that thinks it is weird that Apple offers updates for computers that their computers can't handle, not even in the time the warranty covers the product!?) and they should please change my computer or at least upgrade the hard-drive to an SSD hard drive where this problem doesn't occur any more.

I had a 30 min fight with a guy from apple over the phone, his only suggestions where "to turn off FileVault" or "that this is just how it is". At some point he even told me that because not a lot of people have already complained about this issue, that my issue is not business-threatening to apple and therefor they don´t really care about it.

So now not only does Apple completely not care about its customers, they don't even offer solutions to fix this problem except to just ignore it and to turn it off. And the work of my service provider wasn't even covered by applecare so that I had to pay now 100 Euro to the service provider just to get my computer - in the same state that I gave it to them - back!

So I have to ask - has anyone else experienced this issue? If yes, please tell apple and complain about the issue as I already did by sending them a big letter of complaint! I think it is unacceptable to treat customers like that and by not even offering them solutions.

Have a nice day,

Valerie

FileVault 2: Sleep Mode Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.