Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications STILL Automatically Reopening upon Start-up in OS X 10.8.5

I am having a problem whereby the last application I use automatically restarts when I reboot my laptop. I have unchecked the "reopen windows when logging back in" option when I go to shut down my computer (both by physically pushing the power button on the machine and by clicking on the "Shut Down" option under the Apple menu icon. I've also made sure that the apps that keep opening aren't set to do so under Login Items in System Preferences.

No matter what I do, my computer will still open the last application I used, even when I have properly closed the application and then shut down the computer. Can anyone help me with this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 7:52 AM

7 replies

Oct 21, 2013 9:34 AM in response to Grant85

What's the status of the "Close windows when quitting an application" check box under System Preferences -> General?

Side question - why do you shut down/restart your laptop so often? Are you using Boot Camp or regularly removing the battery? If not, you may wish to use sleep mode instead of shutting down. You won't have this issue in that case.

Oct 21, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Grant85

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

Oct 21, 2013 10:40 AM in response to Grant85

I'm not sure why it's happening. But you can try disabling it with this Terminal command:

defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool NO

Then log out and log back in. Note that this will also disable Auto Save and Versions, and it is unsupported, so proceed with caution.

I really recommend sleeping instead of shutting down. Shutting down is only necessary if you need to remove the battery or if you won't be using your laptop for more than a few days. Otherwise there is no advantage to shutting down over sleeping. There is only disadvantage in the amount of time it takes to shut down and boot up. The difference in energy consumption between shutting down and sleeping is negligible, and is somewhat offset by the power used to shut down and boot up. Give it a try; if nothing else it will solve the Resume problem you are having, and you will enjoy instantaneous access upon wake.

Applications STILL Automatically Reopening upon Start-up in OS X 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.