Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8 installed - product key issue

Hi there,

I have just installed a new copy of windows 8 pro via bootcamp and everything run very smoothly.

Followed all the instructions in the bootcamp documentation, entered my product key that was recognised by the system... I was happy.

Then windows started saying that I needed to activate the system again via the product key. Ok, no big deal: I typed again my product key, then I clicked on activate, windows connected to the internet and then gave a message error saying that my product key is only valid to upgrade and NOT for a full installation.

This is really weird as I DID a clean installation on a new partition of my IMac entering the same product key in the installation process...

Would you have any advice?

I was thinking of taking the following actions but I would like to hear your advice first:

- check for windows update

-update to windows 8.1

I am a bit reluctant with updating to 8.1 because I think Apple doesn't support it yet and I wouldn't want to mess things up.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this

Thanks

Cheers

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 8:53 AM

5 replies

Oct 21, 2013 10:45 AM in response to Blackie Nine

If you purchased and downloaded Windows8 from Microsoft

or purchased the retail copy on disk, it is in fact only an upgrade

license. You need to already have a previous version of Windows

already installed. Microsoft no longer directly sells a full install

licensed version.

What you need to purchase is an OEM Windows8 version in either

64bit or 32bit. They are sold through many online PC dealers around

the world.

Oct 21, 2013 1:11 PM in response to woodmeister50

Hi Woodmeister50,

Thanks again for your reply.

I would agree with you but:

- windows 8 is perfectly installed and I have used it (pictures, web surfing, I have installed some programs e.g. chrome, firefox, other stuff) so I guess that if I had bough an update it wouldn't have been installed in the first place.

- the guy from the shop has been very specific that this was the full installation disc, NOT the update

- on the box it doesn´t say "update" but only Windows 8 PRO ( i have searched on the microsoft store and it says "update" on the box when it is actually an update

I have called Microsoft and they will not help me as WIN8 is not installed on a proper machine... *--*

Any other idea?

Thanks

Windows 8 installed - product key issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.