Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen has slightly fogged corners - Help??

I purchased my 27" imac about 2-3 years ago as a refurbished model, however I've been noticing some weird markings within the inside of the screen near the top two corners. Normally when I'm near the computer, I wake it up right away, so I rarely see it without it being lit up/on. The other day I saw it turned off and noticed that there are weird fogged marks. With the screen on it looks like they are finger prints on my screen, that obviously wont wipe off.

Can anyone tell me what this might be... or what the fix is for it? Could this be some kind of vapor barrier seal or something??

Thanks!

iMac

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 12:57 PM

2 replies

Oct 21, 2013 6:00 PM in response to bbrown35

If you no longer have warranty coverage, you could get a competent independent Apple service provider to try cleaning the glass. iMacs 2-3 years old did not have perfectly sealed glass, and it is possible for dust to form on the inside. The glass can be removed and cleaned on the inside, althought it is a bit tricky to remove and tricky to clean properly. There are DIY directions on the web, but I wouldn't recommend it for most people. I don't know if an Apple Store might look at it for you and say what it is, or even clean your glass for free after warranty - you'd have to ask. Apple since moved to a more tightly sealed glass.

I think it's also possible for the actual LCD display behind the glass to fail like you describe, but someone has to remove the glass to see, and etermine if the LCD display has failed, or could be cleaned.

My 2011 iMac did have some odd smudges on the inside that were visible under certain ambient light conditions, and I removed the glass and was able to clean the backside carefully.

My screen has slightly fogged corners - Help??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.