Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to verify the preflight file. It is not signed by Apple.

Can't download any purchased apps. keep getting this error:

thanks

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 3:45 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.
23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2013 3:45 PM in response to jeff work

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Oct 21, 2013 6:21 PM in response to jeff work

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select

/var/log install.log

from the hierarchical list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar. Then select the messages from the last installation or update attempt, starting from the time when you initiated it. If you're not sure when that was, start over and note the time. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Oct 22, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Linc Davis

I'm not the OP, but I've been having the same problem for weeks. Console output when I try looks like:

10/11/13 12:20:13.339 PM storeagent[476]: -[ISURLOperation _logRequest:]: Sending request for http://a933.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/104/Purple2/v4/94/0a/95/940a9566-7810-8c99 -c8c8-e82e1e8f3c90/signed.dcr.549627933164448382.pfpkg

10/11/13 12:20:13.344 PM storeagent[476]: -[ISURLOperation _handleReceivedResponse:]: Received headers for http://a933.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/104/Purple2/v4/94/0a/95/940a9566-7810-8c99 -c8c8-e82e1e8f3c90/signed.dcr.549627933164448382.pfpkg

10/11/13 12:20:16.509 PM storeagent[476]: *** Assertion failure in -[ISCheckPreflightOperation verifyDistributionAtURL:allowsDevSign:allowsUnsigned:osVersionToBeInstalled:err or:distributionController:], /SourceCache/Pisa/Pisa-232/ISCheckPreflightOperation.m:314

and AppStore.log looks like:

Oct 11 20:27:43 CalMac.local storeagent[476]: ISCheckPreflightOperation: remote pre-flight downloaded to file:///var/folders/w_/vp6f0qvx5s733hrxjr5ftcyc003j7d/C/com.apple.appstore/4089 81381/preflight.pfpkg

Oct 11 20:27:43 CalMac.local storeagent[476]: ISCheckPreflightOperation: Running local pre-flight from file:///var/folders/w_/vp6f0qvx5s733hrxjr5ftcyc003j7d/C/com.apple.appstore/4089 81381/preflight.pfpkg

Oct 11 20:27:46 CalMac.local storeagent[476]: file:///var/folders/w_/vp6f0qvx5s733hrxjr5ftcyc003j7d/C/com.apple.appstore/4089 81381/preflight.pfpkg is not signed by Apple Error Domain=PKProductErrorDomain Code=0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PKProductErrorDomain error 0.)" UserInfo=0x7f975a404820 {PKTrustLevel=2, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f975c886630 "The operation couldn’t be completed. general network error"}

Oct 11 20:27:46 CalMac.local storeagent[476]: ISCheckPreflightOperation: verified preflight success=0, error=Error Domain=ISCheckPreflightOperation Code=0 "Failed to verify the preflight file. It is not signed by Apple." UserInfo=0x7f975c8a9560 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f975c8c5060 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PKProductErrorDomain error 0.)", NSLocalizedFailureReason=Distribution file "file:///var/folders/w_/vp6f0qvx5s733hrxjr5ftcyc003j7d/C/com.apple.appstore/408 981381/preflight.pfpkg" is not signed by apple, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to verify the preflight file. It is not signed by Apple.}, distController=(null)

Oct 11 20:27:46 CalMac.local storeagent[476]: ISCheckPreflightOperation: Error found checking preflight - Error Domain=ISCheckPreflightOperation Code=0 "Failed to verify the preflight file. It is not signed by Apple." UserInfo=0x7f975c8a9560 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f975c8c5060 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PKProductErrorDomain error 0.)", NSLocalizedFailureReason=Distribution file "file:///var/folders/w_/vp6f0qvx5s733hrxjr5ftcyc003j7d/C/com.apple.appstore/408 981381/preflight.pfpkg" is not signed by apple, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to verify the preflight file. It is not signed by Apple.}

(I'm aware the timestamps don't match, they're from different attempts.)

System software updates (Java etc.) work fine. I just can't update or install regular apps.

Oct 23, 2013 5:38 AM in response to John Crawford6

In my case, I've been able to work around it by signing into my admin account (instead of my regular user account) and installing/updating from there. Had hoped that might fix some permissions or something for my regular user, but it hasn't.

Next step: fresh install of 10.9 that I've just downloaded, as it was the developer preview I was experiencing this issue on. Fingers crossed...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.