Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer photos and videos from iPhone 5 to an external hard drive?

I have an iPhone 5. It's full of photos and videos that I've taken (27 GB). I also have a four year old MacBook with Mac OS X 10.6.8. The MacBook is full of stuff that I don't want to put elsewhere. So I don't want to transfer the photos and videos to the computer. However, I have a 1 TB external hard drive I want to transfer them to. I've been trying to do this, but can't figure it out. I've spent a few hours on this. What is the best and most simple way to transfer photos and videos from an iPhone 5 to an external hard drive?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 1:46 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083 plug your external hard drive to your Mac and see if you can import your photos to that external hard drive.

4 replies

Mar 24, 2015 7:26 PM in response to joibjarni

Two steps:

you can first transfer photos from iPhone to computer and then drag them to the external hard drive. For your iTunes library, you can follow:

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Locate your external drive.

Mac: On the desktop or Finder sidebar.

3. Locate your iTunes folder:By default, the iTunes folder is located in:

Mac: Finder > username > Music

4. Drag the iTunes folder to your external drive. This can take a while if you have a lot of items.

6. When the transfer is complete, your iTunes Library will have been successfully copied to your external drive.

Mar 24, 2016 2:50 AM in response to RenatoMahaffey

RenatoMahaffey wrote:

Two steps:

you can first transfer photos from iPhone to computer and then drag them to the external hard drive. For your iTunes library, you can follow:

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Locate your external drive.

Mac: On the desktop or Finder sidebar.

3. Locate your iTunes folder:By default, the iTunes folder is located in:

Mac: Finder > username > Music

4. Drag the iTunes folder to your external drive. This can take a while if you have a lot of items.

6. When the transfer is complete, your iTunes Library will have been successfully copied to your external drive.

Works greatly, but where is the step 5?

How do I transfer photos and videos from iPhone 5 to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.