Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI interface does not work with USB 3.0 ports

Early this year we purchased a new iMac. For years we have been connecting a keyboard to an older iMac (circa 2006) using a M-Audio MIDISPORT Uno USB cable. We used this with GarageBand. It worked great. Yesterday I plugged the keyboard and cable into the new iMac and it doesn't work. The new iMac recognizes that there is a MIDI device present and it can identify the device in the System Report (see below).

User uploaded file

However, it doesn't show up as a device when you go to System Preferences > Sound (see below).

User uploaded file

I'm not sure what's going on. The research that I've done so far indicates that this particular device may not be compatible with USB 3.0.

Two questions -

1. Has anyone been able to get this device, M-Audio MIDISPORT Uno USB, or equivalent older MIDI interface to work with the USB 3.0 ports on a new iMac?

2. If not, can anyone suggest a MIDI interface that I can purchase that will work with USB 3.0?

Thank you.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 2:01 PM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2013 5:32 PM in response to isteveus

It doesn't work. When I connect the keyboard to our old iMac (OSX 10.6.8) using the MIDI cable, I see the following when I go to System Preferences > Sound ...

User uploaded file

Note that in addition to 'Internal microphone', 'Line In' also appears.

For Garageband Preferences, I see the following ...

User uploaded file

In this case, 'Built-in Input' appears.

I am not seeing these entries on the new iMac.

Oct 21, 2013 6:38 PM in response to granitev

Line in and built-in input are the same thing but neither of these matter here. These are for audio inputs your midi keyboard is midi not audio. MIDI carries digital instruction set (play this note, play this note) Audio inputs takes sound waves and makes them digital.

You keyboard should be working if it isn't maybe there is a driver that needs to be installed.

Mar 13, 2014 4:08 AM in response to granitev

I've been having some issues connecting a USB 2.0 based microphone to a Mac Pro (Late 2013) that has always worked perfectly for me in the past on USB 2.0 equipped Macs. I've been experiencing an issue with a sync error message on the device and have read that there may be compatibility issues between USB 2.0-based audio devices and Macs running USB 3.0 ports (which are just about all of the newer models). I'm thinking, that if this is the case, and it may require manufacturers to work with Apple to resolve the issues, then it is possible that this won't happen at all - particularly if the device is now somewhat older. I note that Zoom have released a new Thunderbolt audio interface called the TAC-2. I haven't tried it yet, but suspect that this may well solve my issues. Newer USB 2.0 devices might work, but I'm not game to waste my money on these to find out - looks like it will be the TAC-2 for me.

MIDI interface does not work with USB 3.0 ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.