Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had some issues with upgrading to mountain lion although it says I have 10.8.3 could the issues have been that of space?

When I attempted to do the upgrade I realized it would take sometime and walked away. Later I came back and there was a note from the App Store next to the mountain lion upgrade that said there was a problem downloading. I just ignored it and never followed thru with it. When I go to the apple icon on my iMac it says I have 10.8.3 but when I go to the App Store it's still there waiting for me to download it (I suppose). I noticed the apace requirements upon doing some reading and wonder if that can be the issue because I really don't think I have 8GB of space I think I got my computer new with only 4GB so I don't know. On top of this I domt even know how to see what room I have left. Am I the only person who bought my comport with 4GB? I mean others must have had this issue right? Am I confused? I don't know too much about how computers work, someone just now told me that I'm talking about a different type of space so now I'm totally confused can someone help me please?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), under the apple icon it says 10.8.3

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 8:49 PM

You are confusing RAM with hard drive space - you appear to have the standard amount of RAM (the memory a computer uses to run apps). 4 GB is fine, but considered a minimum - more would be better.

As for the hard drive space (that is the space you have available on your hard drive to read/write): you need 8 GB minimum to install Mountain lion and, as a general rule, you should maintain a minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times - more is better there as well. You can find out how much space you have by highlighting your hard drive icon (Macintosh HD icon on your desktop) and control click on it. In the popup window, choose Get Info. Then post the info showing such as Capacity, Used, and Available.

FWIW, Mountain Lion will continue to show in your Purchases because it is available for you to download again should you need it. You obviously have it installed if it shows that you are running 10.8.3 - which, but the way, is not the latest version, so run Software Update: we are up to 10.8.5.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2013 8:49 PM in response to carlyladida

You are confusing RAM with hard drive space - you appear to have the standard amount of RAM (the memory a computer uses to run apps). 4 GB is fine, but considered a minimum - more would be better.

As for the hard drive space (that is the space you have available on your hard drive to read/write): you need 8 GB minimum to install Mountain lion and, as a general rule, you should maintain a minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times - more is better there as well. You can find out how much space you have by highlighting your hard drive icon (Macintosh HD icon on your desktop) and control click on it. In the popup window, choose Get Info. Then post the info showing such as Capacity, Used, and Available.

FWIW, Mountain Lion will continue to show in your Purchases because it is available for you to download again should you need it. You obviously have it installed if it shows that you are running 10.8.3 - which, but the way, is not the latest version, so run Software Update: we are up to 10.8.5.

I had some issues with upgrading to mountain lion although it says I have 10.8.3 could the issues have been that of space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.