Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does time machine backup photos

Just wondering if someone can help me work out if my external HDD backs up my photos via time machine? Is there a way of seeing excatly what time machine is backing up?

Thanks

iMac

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 1:05 AM

As far as I know, not at the time it is happening. Is the external HD the one used for Time Machine? (Not good policy to use the internal HD).

If the external is your Time Machine and you have iPhoto, it will back up iPhoto.

You can check by loading iPhoto, then clicking Time Machine. A miniature version should appear on your screen.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2013 1:05 AM in response to LLfromheidelberg

As far as I know, not at the time it is happening. Is the external HD the one used for Time Machine? (Not good policy to use the internal HD).

If the external is your Time Machine and you have iPhoto, it will back up iPhoto.

You can check by loading iPhoto, then clicking Time Machine. A miniature version should appear on your screen.

Oct 22, 2013 7:56 AM in response to LLfromheidelberg

it depends on where the photos are stored, and if they are in a folder that has been excluded from Time Machine.

This shows how to exclude items from the backup but you can go there and see IF anything is excluded and if you do not want it excluded, you can remove it from the list.

OS X Mountain Lion: Exclude items from a Time Machine backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11187

the way Time Machine works is basically, if its on your internal HDD, it should be backed up.

Oct 22, 2013 10:39 PM in response to seventy one

Sorry about being unclear, ok yes I have an external HDD for my back ups.

What I am trying to do is know exactly what my back ups consist of, where would I look.

More importantly I want to prove to myself that my backups include my photos that are in iphoto.

When I open iphoto, then time machine, my time machine opens Finder, then desktop, but I can go down to my main favourite and see documents etc, but I can not see iphoto/photos. No my time machine does not open up a minature version of iphoto, only finder.

I also can't have excluded anything as I didn't know the path to follow until I looked at my responses received today.

I will check the link provided earlier but would appreciate any further ideas?

Thanks so much

does time machine backup photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.