Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluray player and Apple Lossless on NAS

Hi

I use my iMac and iTunes to rip my music to Apple Lossless and then I keep it all on a NAS (QNAP) which runs DNLA (Twonky) to make it accessible to the other computers/devices in the house.

I would like to replace my aging DVD player with a Bluray that can:

1) Connect to the NAS and DNLA server

2) Play Apple Lossless natively (no transcoding or lossy formats)

3) Output via digital a true PCM or spdif signal to my processor and speakers

4) Ability to control playback (playlists etc) from an iPhone app (so the TV doesn't need to be on to play music)

Having googled a lot, the main issue seems to be the ability to read and play Apple Lossless.

Does anyone have a Bluray that they know for sure plays Apple Lossless natively (and aren't cheating by transcoding to lossy mp3 on the fly)?

Thanks!!!

A

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 3:02 AM

8 replies

Oct 22, 2013 7:42 AM in response to AFDMacMini

I use this free player. It works very well. After about a week, you have to get a permanent activation code via email, but that's also free.

Just so you know, all DVD and Blu-ray disks are already lossy. DVDs are encoded as MPEG-2, and Blu-ray disks are either MPEG-2 or H.264 (MPEG-4). You would never, ever be able to fit an uncompressed movie on even a 128GB Blu-ray disk.

Oct 22, 2013 8:15 AM in response to AFDMacMini

So you're looking for a audio software, not Blu-ray. MP3 has nothing to do with Blu-ray. At least, not unless you burned a Blu-ray disk as a data disk full of lossless audio, and not as a video disk.

In any case, QuickTime will play back AIFF and other lossless audio tracks as is on your system. As far as streaming it though, I couldn't tell you.

Oct 23, 2013 12:24 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Err .... no, I am not looking for audio software. I have audio software on all my macs (called iTunes) that plays Apple Lossless really well. Here's what I've said in both my prior posts:

"I would like to replace my aging DVD player with a Bluray"

"I am looking for a bluray player that can stream Apple lossless music."

I think I will give up on this forum.

Nov 17, 2013 7:31 AM in response to AFDMacMini

Are you looking for a new blender? 😀

I am wrestling with the same questions and pretty much the same setup. I have my FLAC files on a home built NAS. I *think* I want to stream them outside of the iTune world (because of the bit limitation on AppleTV).

I have an Oppo-93 and it will do FLAC but NOT apple lossless: http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-93_Media_Files_FAQ.

I would be interested if you get an all Apple solution.

Steve

Bluray player and Apple Lossless on NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.