Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging different accounts with Migration Assistant

My account on my mac is "myname" but the time machine backup is under account name "myname_bkp". Can I migrate from myname_bkp on TM to myname on the mac directly? Or do I have to creat an account myname_bkp on the mac, then manually transfer to myname, then manually delete myname_bkp?

tm

iMac 24", MacBookPro, mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 6:01 AM

Apparently, MA will let you migrate into a different account name only if it encounters the same account name on both ends. So here is how I finally did this:

1. Create account myname_bkp on the Mac where you want to migrate to.
  2. Migration Assistant will notice that myname_bkp exists both on TM and on the Mac and will ask whether you want to migrate into the existing account or create a new one. If you chose new account, MA will let you create a new used myname and will copy myname_bkpinto myname.
  3. After the migration is done, delete myname_bkp from the Mac.

tm

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Themis Matsoukas

Apparently, MA will let you migrate into a different account name only if it encounters the same account name on both ends. So here is how I finally did this:

1. Create account myname_bkp on the Mac where you want to migrate to.
  2. Migration Assistant will notice that myname_bkp exists both on TM and on the Mac and will ask whether you want to migrate into the existing account or create a new one. If you chose new account, MA will let you create a new used myname and will copy myname_bkpinto myname.
  3. After the migration is done, delete myname_bkp from the Mac.

tm

Merging different accounts with Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.