Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Tmobile contract free iphone 5s unlocked? Will I be able to use it with a local network in Ireland?

I'm thinking about buying an iphone 5s from an Apple store in the US in a few weeks time when I am there. If i buy it from a store is it factory unlocked or do they all come with contracts? If I bring it home to Ireland will I be able to bring it to my network provider (Vodafone) and get a new sim card put in so I can use it everyday in Ireland?

If I buy it in America, can it only be used in America or does it even make a difference, once it's unlocked? Will I be able to use it and all features fully?

On the apple website it says you can buy a Tmobile contract free iphone 5s. Is this the same as unlocked?

Thanks in advance for any answers and help. 🙂

iPhone 5s

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 12:01 PM

17 replies

Oct 22, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Miss-G

Currently the only unlocked iPhone 5s available from the Apple Store is the T-Mobile model. By the time you get here they may offer a model just unlocked or they may not. Right now the 5s is in very short supply.

There is no guarantee the you will be able to access your carriers LTE capabilities and you will have to return to the US for warranty service.

Oct 22, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Miss-G

a T-Mobile iPhone 5S from Apple store ( and only Apple Store ) apparently will work anywhere ON 3G

It will not work on LTE (4G) anywhere outside North America

You will have no warranty outside US nor any post warranty service

Generally not a good idea as if you need warranty you will have return to US or send it to a friend in US

You cannot mail in

Oct 22, 2013 12:16 PM in response to kb4200

"If you buy iPhone for T-Mobile, it will arrive with a nano-SIM card already installed that you can activate by visiting an Apple Retail Store or a T-Mobile store or by calling T-Mobile. When you travel internationally, you can use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5s from a local GSM carrier. For details on LTE support, see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE."

If you buy it from the Apple Store you can activate it when you buy it.

Oct 23, 2013 8:14 AM in response to Miss-G

The T-Mobile version is perfectly unlocked. If they release an unbranded unlocked version it will be the exact same device minus the T-Mobile card. So it will work just the same.

The only thing linking it to T-Mobile is the sim card it comes packaged with; which you can remove and throw away if you want to and place a sim card form your preferred carrier inside.

Though there is info that suggests that this only works for carriers outside of North America. Can't comment on that though.

In any case the T-Mobile version is currently the unlocked model Apple offers. Whether they release a different unbranded version is unknown. So you may very well be waiting for nothing.

Is the Tmobile contract free iphone 5s unlocked? Will I be able to use it with a local network in Ireland?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.