Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

you need a newer version of pages to open this document

What does this mean? I can't open a bunch of my documents and I have the latest version of pages, OS and all updates have occurred. And yes I did a restart of my computer.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 11:56 AM

50 replies

Oct 22, 2013 12:32 PM in response to Ribowler

R,

What that means is that you have both the old and new versions of Pages on your computer, and that you have opened a new document with the old version. Just make sure which version you are using and you'll be fine.

Opening an old document with the new version converts it to the new version, so as time passes, fewer and fewer of your old documents will remain openable by the old Pages.

Jerry

Oct 24, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerrold - I'm not sure that this is correct. I just recently updated to Mavericks and also the latest version of Pages / iWork, and I can confirm that I don't have two version of Pages on my machine. I'm not sure how that would happen, anyways, since the updater updates the same program rather than downloading a duplicate version of the program (right?).

Oct 27, 2013 10:30 AM in response to rorytyer

Not entirely accurate, rory. I currently have two versions of Pages installed. Both are in my applications folder but the older applications are in a folder therein titled iWork '09 and has all the old applications with their old icons and the new applications are directly inside the applications folder. Be sure you're using the new Pages (it has a new icon). I had the issue where I was trying to open things typed up on the new Pages on my iPad and had defaulted to the old Pages on my iMac which was still on my dashboard.

Oct 27, 2013 11:26 AM in response to edgaradrian

I, too, have both versions of Pages (4.3 & 5.0). As features have been removed (e.g. linked text boxes) in 5, I would prefer to have them open in 4.3., but the default is 5, even if you make sure 4.3 is the "Open with" in File info.

However, some files are giving the "You need a newer version...", in some cases just after they've been opened and closed in 5.0! This is not as bad as being told that the file cannot be opened because "...it is from an unidentified developer.", Pages created this document on an unknown date." (just now, as it happens).

Fortunately, these can be opened by right clicking and choosing to "Open with...", which is sometimes followed by the alert: "File name" is from an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it? Pages created this document on an unknown date.".

This is going to be very tiresome, as we have several hundred files used to print plastic kit instructions and labels, which can probably be used with 5, provided they're checked first. Some labels have had text changed to Title case, so that "4mm" has become "4Mm" etc., but I have no idea why some have been picked on.

Nov 22, 2013 4:48 PM in response to James Mullins

Apple has created this problem, if you have AppleCare on your Mac or this is a recent purchase ask them.

Also an AppleStore may be able to help you.

Most people are simply trashing Pages 5 or archiving it and going back to Pages '09 which should be in your Applications/iWork folder.

It also helps if you rate/review Pages 5 in the App Store.

Peter

Jan 28, 2014 4:18 PM in response to Ribowler

I am in the latest version of Pages on my MacBook Pro and am using the menu to try to open a Pages document that was edited in the latest version of Pages on my iMac. I am using Maverick OS. I still get error message that I have to install a newer version of Pages. Yes I did a Restart. Btw, I did have old iWork Pages app but it is in Trash.

So none of these comments solves this VERY frustrating problem . Thanks for any help.

Feb 13, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Ribowler

I have the same problem and exporting to a previous version is an option however, it is Apple's version of the software that stinks and they need to resolve it a.s.a.p. I deal with revision crud from Adobe and their Creative Suite's (now Cloud.) Even though they are a behemoth, they fix there software. Please Apple, you are better than this, fall in step.

Having sung the praises of Pages to many a Word user on Mac platform, version 5.0.1 stinks. Lost all that made it sweet!

you need a newer version of pages to open this document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.