Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell C1760NW wireless print fail

Trying to get a Dell C1760nw printer to work wirelessly with OS10.6.8 laptops. Printer works fine via USB cable. It also connects and prints wirelessly via WinOS laptops, but not the Macs. Drivers are updated on all laptops. The printer firmware is updated via the WinOS laptops (no option to update the firmware via the MacOS units. grrrr).

Macs are configured for both the USB printer version and the network with IP address version, with both icons showing in the Mac printer list. MacOS seems to be connecting to the printer, because during a wireless print job attempt, the printer list icon shows a yellow "busy" light, and the text shows "Connecting to Printer with the spinning dial - it never makes the connection. The printer widget in the Doc shows a red error dot. If the print job is deleted, the printer icon status changes to green "idle" light.

Currently using the default Dell IP address for the wireless operation.

Router is Netgear N300 with WPA encryption.

Macs & Win units all successfully access the router for www and email.

The push button connection btw printer and router did not work, even for the WinOS laptops.

Printer setting report shows port9100. Is that an open port on the Mac? Where do I configure ports in OS10.6.8

Mac Firewall is on. Print sharing (and all other sharing) is disabled.

Mac can ethernet cable into the router to connect to printer via the Dell interface. Settings can be adjusted, but printing fails via ethernet - same as wireless.

Any ideas or experience?

Thanks

-B

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 12:02 PM

2 replies

Oct 26, 2013 12:00 PM in response to Benson Shaw

Bit of an update:

The router successfully pings the printer as follows. Ethernet cable or wireless access via Safari from Mac laptop to the router IP address brings up the router interface. Use the router interface to ping IP address of the printer - it's a wireless ping, because the printer is not cabled to the router.

Router interface lists the printer's IP in the Attached Devices screen and identifies it as the Dell Printer.

Ping report shows 4 packets sent, 4 replys received. I think this, and the fact that the Win Laptops can print wirelessly is proof that the printer is definitely on the router's wireless network. Can anyone confirm?

Printer Report shows printer operating through port 9100 and all the other port status items are marked enable (LPD, WSD, SNMP/UPD, EWS)

Printer report also shows these Network items:

Bonjour (mDNS)=enabled

IP Filter=Off

SSid= correct network name

Network mode=Infrastructure

Wireless Status=Good

Link Chanel=6

Encryption=WPA-PSK-AES/WPA2-PSK-AES

Any thoughts? things to try?

Some 801.xxx mismatch between Mac & Router? (but the Mac connects to router for www and email)

Is a port not open on the Mac?

Is there a Link Channel setting on the Mac?

-B

Apr 2, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Benson Shaw

purchased this printer today, powered on and held down the wifi until it asked me to hit the wed button on my router. Walked to router (verizon fios) hit the front button that looks like refresh (two arrows in a circle) and then the printer recognized and connected. Via my iMac i then added printer, the dell came up under bonjour connection and then i was done. all in all extremely easy and worked great. I am now looking on how to get this recognized by my iPhone and iPad.... i will add to this once i have accomplished that as it is currently not showing under AirPrint printers. (obviously i could use a app but would like ease of integration for my wife with just connecting)

Dell C1760NW wireless print fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.