Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2015 2:47 AM by Klaus1
ABParis Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, I have a 2008 black Macbook running Snow leopard 10.6.8, 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM. Cannot upgrade to Mavericks.  Get "Cannot be installed on this computer" message on app store

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 GHZ , 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • sanjampet Level 5 (7,760 points)

Does your machine meet the specs?

https://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

It will not download if any of the specs are not complant, is your drive really full? If you are very close to the specified amount of HD space it may not want to install. if this is the case clear more space on your storage.

Are you fully up to date in SL?

Run software update and make sure.

• romaks Level 1 (20 points)

I believe there is a videocard requirement, although I don't see it on the specs page above.  That's what kills it for nonmetal macbooks.

• brendanmac13 Level 1 (0 points)

I too have the same 13.1 macbook black(mac OS X 10.6.8) as you and ran into the same error message. I have all the respectable requirements that they ask for under their system requirements EXCEPT that my machine was purchased mid 2008. I called apple support and they ran my serial number and said that my machine is outdated and not available for the Mavericks update.

• Asplodzor Level 1 (0 points)

I've got the same problem. My machine meets all the specs, has OSX 10.6.8, 4 gigs of ram, and 40 gigs of HD space free, but I get the same error: "OS X Mavericks cannot be installed on this computer."

What's missing? Why can't I upgrade?

My Model Identifier is MacBook4,1 and my processor is 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

• Klaus1 Level 8 (47,755 points)

OS X Mavericks supports the following Macs that are already running a minimum of Snow Leopard:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

• Weegie247 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm also running a black macbook and yet i can't either. I'm baffled as to why the older iMac can upgrade yet this can't. Surely they should make the highest OS this can upgrade to free then? Gutted really.

• romaks Level 1 (20 points)

I'm with you, Weegie.  It makes no sense to give away a billion or so copies of Mav, but then still charge for ML and Lion.

btw, I believe it is the video capability of the white/black MacBook that is holding it back from Mavland.

• nathanielaldon Level 1 (0 points)

The was a way to shoehorn ML on to our unsupported Macs, soon enough I believe someone will come out with a way...one day, haha.

• Asplodzor Level 1 (0 points)

It's already working! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1593194 There are some bugs, but they'll get taken care of. Its our GMA X3100 GPUs that are screwing us. I guess they only support OpenGL 2.0 which soon will be considered legacy.

• no911yes187 Level 1 (0 points)

same problem here. white MacBook 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3gb, 60gb free storage. osx 10.6.8

• mkwilliams Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same problem, however, I have recently been considering upgrading to Lion or Mountain Lion. What do you suggest? Will upgrading my OS X from 10.6.8 prolong the life of my MacBook, or will it be detrimental because my RAM is too low?

You have a plastic MacBook?

• mkwilliams Level 1 (0 points)

Yes; it is black.

You cannot install ML by itself. In order to do so, you would need to use MLPostFactor or something similar. But, I would not reccomend this, since in order to use it you have to buy ML, when you might as well wait for the new version of ML...well I guess now it would be MVPostFactor for free, since Apple is putting it out free.

Previous 1 2 Next