Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't download iPhoto upgrade

The App store shows me that there's an upgrade to iPhoto that I should download. Indeed, when I try to open the .dmg file of this upgrade that I downloaded from the Apple website, it tells me that I have to upgrade via the App store. So I go to the App store, click on "download" and it tells me to sign in to the account that I used to buy iPhoto. But that's not possible, because it came pre-loaded on the MacBook Pro I use and have used for about 4 years.

So I anyway sign in with my current Apple / iTunes /App store ID. Go back to download iPhoto, and get the same message to sign in. Try again to sign in, although the App Store menu shows that I'm signed in. Go back to download, same message. Kafka lives!

How do I get this upgrade?

Thank you

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 1:58 PM

12 replies

Oct 22, 2013 5:28 PM in response to Dah•veed

I'm in the same boat. They've all been updating until recently via Software Update. They were all up to date until today! I'm not paying approx £80 to update my iWork and iLife apps when I paid that much for them bundled in my Snow Leopard DVD three years ago. I've paid every year to update my OS X and now they're offering this one free but you're having to pay for your bundled apps four times over the price of the usual OS X update smacks of hypocrisy to me. I'm not amused.

Oct 23, 2013 6:28 AM in response to Dah•veed

Incorrect. As suspected all those who purchased the iWork and iLife suites via MAS or DVD are to get the new updates free. All app updates were available to update through SU overnight. They now also appear in Purchases for original DVD owners which will save any future difficulty. There are still some bugs Apple are trying to iron out in the system however. But good on them for coming through and not letting us down. I feel vindicated.

Oct 25, 2013 10:51 AM in response to jimroy

Solution:

• Manually install the totally new iPhoto. Go to app store and search for iPhoto. Press install
  • Big download. When done you will see a new blue iPhoto icon.
  • It may craete a new iPhoto library in the "picture folder. If so close iPhoto navigate to picture folder and illiminate - carefully - the smaller iPhoto Library.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2014 8:23 AM in response to Ian Lancaster

I'm having a very similar problem. After upgrading to Yosemite and trying to open iPhoto I get the following error message... "The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store."

In the App Store there is no option to buy iPhoto, just to upgrade. When I click to upgrade I get...

"Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

Only one Apple ID has ever been used to buy software and I didn't buy iPhoto anyway. It came pre-installed on my 2012 MacBook Pro. How do I get iPhoto working again?

can't download iPhoto upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.