Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to highlight the entire folder with the tag color, as before?

I've always highlighted important folders with colors, so that they stand out among others in a list for quicker access. Now in Mavericks list view, there is only a small color dot to the right of the folder's name (sometimes very far from the folder's name if the column is large). As a result, it is much harder to pick important folders. Is there any way to apply the tag color to the whole folder, as it used to be in all previous systems? Or at the very least, to move the dot to the left of the folder name within lists, as in Icon view? I really hope Apple did not remove this feature simply for the sake of design. Thanks.

MacBook Air + iMac-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 2:14 PM

67 replies

Apr 26, 2017 7:51 PM in response to S. G.

None of the third party plug-in/hacks work with El Capitan without disabling the new(ish) System Integrity Protection. Now, I imagine that SIP has been added for good reason, so, being that this feedback page no longer exists:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I'm asking AGAIN, as have so many others, for Apple (PLEASE be monitoring this forum, Apple, PLEASE!) to reinstate this function before form detail of the finder that makes actually FINDING things so much easier. User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2017 4:46 AM in response to poh

But this macOS feedback page does exist. Do not expect any acknowledgement, or contact by Apple following your post.

Apple leadership and product teams do not participate in these open, google-archived, user-to-user support communities.

When Apple introduced Mavericks in 2013, the operating system and Finder label style got changed in unison. Nearly infinite numbers of users have complained about this disruption to their beloved label style, but nearly four years later, Apple has not retreated to the nostalgia label functionality. It is like waiting for Apple to reintroduce System 7 again, or from Dr. Who ... “Resistance is futile.”

Jul 27, 2017 5:55 AM in response to S. G.

I have been a loyal customer for years! I miss fully-colored names in Finder very much. The only thing I could think of to do would be to provide Apple with feedback. Please, everybody do this and we can hope that Apple will listen. I think full-colored labels have been missing since the version sometime in 2011 thereabouts. Path Finder still supports this, but the labels will not show up outside of Path Finder (in save dialogs etc.).

Feedback - macOS - Apple <== DO THIS PLEASE

I wrote a message to Apple with the title Fully-colored File Labels in Finder

Currently, the colored labels add a dot to each file. What I need and miss are colored file names just as they were before. This was great because the files and directories would stand out more to the eye.

Apr 27, 2017 7:50 AM in response to poh

I have switched to TotalFinder after XtraFinder apparently stopped their development. TotalFinder works very nicely, it is not freeware but not expensive either. You do have to briefly/temporarily disable SIP to complete its installation, but it will keep working after you reenable SIP fully. Folders and names are colored again, and it has many other perks such as automatic column sizing.

Oct 22, 2013 3:27 PM in response to S. G.

The "color dot" to which you are referring is the behavior of Mac OS X since Snow Leopard, I'm pretty sure.

Basically, the entire row has the colored label, but when the item is selected, the color is only apparent in a round swatch on the left-hand side of the column.

In Mountain Lion (and lower), deselecting the labeled folder will reveal that the entire row does have the expected color. I don't know if this behavior is different in Mavericks.

Oct 22, 2013 10:21 PM in response to mistersquid

mistersquid, S. G. is actually referring to the new Tags feature in Mavericks. This replaces entirely the Labels feature in previous versions of the OS, as far as I can tell.

Labels would let you apply a color highlight to a folder. It would appear as a color behind the entire row.

With Mavericks, however, Labels are gone and are replaced with Tags, which just puts a small colored dot off to the right of the folder name (and it's always like this, not just when you click on the folder), and some of these aren't distinct enough from one another (i.e. purple and gray look almost identical if you're scrolling through a series of "gray" folders pretty quickly—you may miss that one purple dot). Also, like S. G. mentioned, these can be pretty far off in your periphery if you've got long folder names, so this just adds another level of "hard-to-see-ness" (it's a technical term 😝 ).

I'm a graphic designer and I have been using Labels to colorize my job folders according to their current status. For example:

No label = job is open/in progress.

The next color schemes were more of a "stop light" effect, going from red to green:

Red = job is approved. Prep final files and send to printer/client.

Yellow = job is done. Prepare job ticket/calculate time for billing.

Green = job is done and job ticket is ready to go (hence the green color) to my co-worker for billing/invoicing.

Gray = job is finished/billed/closed (i.e., I've "grayed it out").

Purple = job transferred to another co-worker (i.e., I got too busy and they're working on it now). This one is a rarer color, and with Tags it's a bit difficult to discern one or two purple (more like a light lavender) dots in a sea of gray ones.

I agree with S. G. and would love to see a stronger means of identifying the status of a project at a glance reappear—perhaps as a selectable alternative to Tags in the Finder preferences (because I can definitely see how the two means of colorizing a folder could compete with one another), like a checkbox to the effect of "Use Labels instead of Tags," similar to the "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" option.

Feedback submitted. Thanks, yodathejedi, for the link. 🙂

Message was edited by: Xiebinrui -- oops, duplicated word. Fixed!

Oct 23, 2013 5:02 AM in response to Xiebinrui

Thanks Xiebinrui and Yodathejedi, you understood my point and I sent feedback to Apple as suggested.

My only major issue with Mavericks is that labels are now gone, replaced by tags. I need the strong color highlight of labels to organize my files and folders and have quick visual access to important ones. The tiny tag dot is not sufficient, in particular in list view where it sits to the right. The new ability to sort files by tag is nice, but still does not help distinguish files in a regular list view (my use of color labels was unfortunately not linked to any logic, just used as highlight to stand out from others, so sorting by color does not work well for me). In addition, it is inconsistent from a design standpoint as the blue dot means "updated app" in iOS 7 and something completely different here.

I do hope we get the option to apply the tag color to the entire file or folder, just as labels used to do. Given the lack of action on iOS 7 design feedback, I am pessimistic.

Oct 24, 2013 9:21 AM in response to S. G.

Same problem as S.G. "My only major issue with Mavericks is that labels are now gone, replaced by tags. I need the strong color highlight of labels to organize my files and folders and have quick visual access to important ones" I only get the strong color highlight when I'm going to share the file on an email, I always want it.

Oct 24, 2013 9:38 AM in response to S. G.

Same problem as S.G. and LinaAng: "My only major issue with Mavericks is that labels are now gone, replaced by tags. I need the strong color highlight of labels to organize my files and folders and have quick visual access to important ones" I only get the strong color highlight when I'm going to share the file on an email, I always want it.

How to highlight the entire folder with the tag color, as before?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.