Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mavericks install - Corrupted Harddrive

While installing OS X Mavericks I was told that the hard drive is corrupted, and must be repaired. Now I cant access my computer at all, and it wont allow me to repair the hard drive. Help please!!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 3:14 PM

26 replies

Oct 23, 2013 12:33 PM in response to toasteezee

I tried to update to OSX Mavericks last night. At -43 minutes, Installation error came and said that hard drive is corrupted and need to backup my data.

I can't even re-install my old Mountain Lion on it.

NVRAM was cleaned and still couldn't restart in recovery mode. My MBP is useless now.

APPLE, YOU NEED TO TEST YOUR SOFTWARE BEFORE MAKING IT AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC.

JUST BECAUSE IT IS FREE, YOU PRODUCTS CAN'T BE BUGGY AND CAUSE END USERS TROUBLES .

Oct 23, 2013 1:19 PM in response to JarrenH

you boot into safe mode y holding the shift key at start up right? My macbook wont even do that, it just boots up to my windows bootcamp if i hold shift or not when i restart. It really doesn't seem like I can do anything, even if I did just want to completely wipe the drive and start from scratch. If there was a way to access my HD and get some important files out and THEN wipe it down I would defintely do that. Ill be calling support soon if someone doesn't offer a solution, can't find much online :\

Oct 23, 2013 1:57 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I didn't really come to a scientific conclusion... Just making a guess as to probability. It seems unlikely, though not impossible, that my hard drive decided to fail at the exact same moment that I decided to upgrade to mavericks. Then I found this thread and saw other people were having a similar, if not the same problem. It leads me to believe that if I decided not to upgrade, my computer would still be working today. Could be a coincidence; I think that's unlikely though. It seems to me something about the mavericks upgrade process somehow corrupted my HD.

Oct 23, 2013 2:02 PM in response to medmondsr

I did CMD+OPTION+P+R four times to clear NVRAM, then CMD+R to boot in recovery mode.

It boots into safe mode but can't install new or my old Mountain lion.

I had backed up my data to an extrnal drive, so data loss is not an issue.

My disk is in read only mode and can't do anything with it.

Probably I will try to reformat it and install again.

Oct 23, 2013 2:31 PM in response to toasteezee

this happened on my mac air. it then gave me two options, a back arrow or an ok button. i clicked the back arrow hoping to just escape the install and avoid losing my data. instead, the back arrow instigated the install! i was shocked to find that after the install everything seems fine. no data lost and new os working. not sure why tho.....

Oct 24, 2013 1:29 PM in response to toasteezee

Same issue here on my MacBook Pro. Seems to be a bug in the Mavericks upgrade process while it creates the partition with the installation files.

Back Arrow did not do the trick here...

Tried to repair the disk with diskutility which did not work. Mounting in target mode either....

at the moment running data rescue in the hope to be able to recover the data at least.

OS X Mavericks install - Corrupted Harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.