Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assigning Keyboard Shortcuts to Styles

In the previous version of Pages one could assign a keyboard shortcut to a style. I can't find this feature in the new version relesed today. Is it missing or hidden?

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 3:55 PM

11 replies

Oct 24, 2013 8:02 PM in response to kpurcell

It's gone. This one change makes the new Pages such a step back for me that I can't use it. What made it great (over MS Word) was the simplicity and speed that I could work. Keyboard shortcuts for my basic paragraph styles were a big part of that. Big big big big mistake to remove this feature, especially since there's no obvious reason *to* remove it...

Oct 31, 2013 10:43 PM in response to Spanners Design

Honestly, I'm livid.

I paid for Pages and iWork because, in my opinion, it was the best word processor on the market. It was lightweight, versitile, customizable, and fast.

Version 5.0, however, looks more refined, but is slow, clunky, and difficult. Beyond the missing keyboard shortcuts:

1. Why does it take 3 clicks to change the paragraph style?
  2. Why does it take two clicks, mousing down on a flatly-designed hover menu to come to an arrow, that you need to click, and then carefully mousing further to the right, followed by a click, to enforce the paragraph style while the Update button, in bright blue, is seldom used.
  3. You can't edit the text in a hyperlink without clicking on it first. I can't believe this design desicion. Even the webform I'm tying in right now allows me to edit the text in a hyperlink without an overlay.
  4. That the filenames are the same has made backwards compatability impractical if you work on a team.

This is shameful and lazy. Google Docs, an online-only editor, has better keyboard shortcuts, useability, and cross-format compatibility. I preferred Pages '09 over any iteration of Google Docs, but now I find myself inclined to open up a web browser before opening up Pages 5.0—even on slow Internet connections.

Apple: please, please fix this. Or, update Pages '09 to be forward-compatible. Or hire me so I can do it myself. Yes, it bothers me that much.

Assigning Keyboard Shortcuts to Styles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.