Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

epson scan no longer works

Hey everyone, loving Mavericks generally, but Epson Scan no longer launches. It has a Dock icon with a line through it. Error message when launching reads: "You can't use this version of the application "EPSON Scan" with this version of OS X. You have EPSON Scan 3.7.8f0."

I've tried without success to find updated software on the Epson website, and by using their updater software.

Anyone having the same problem, or have a solution? Thanks all.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:07 PM

all have I think, but found this:

I have chatted to a support person on the Epson web site. he says Epson Scan is being currently updated. it should be ready on Friday.

15 replies

Oct 29, 2013 11:38 AM in response to Nico Stegeman

might be because of the cookies ...

epson.com -> DRIVERS & SUPPORT -> SCANNERS -> Enter scanner model click in Drivers (in my case perfection V600 Photo) and it do work!

another try with link:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=no&oid=1 39863&prodoid=63084673&infoType=Downloads&detected=yes&platform=OSF_M_X9

Oct 30, 2013 8:52 AM in response to oleknielsen

Same problem with my Epson Perfection 4990Photo. Before re-install the Epson software, removal „Epson Scan” from the library of the MAC was not enough. Somewhere there are still hidden old and new drivers that work against each other. I have now with Finder, all sought with the name Epson and removed from the HD where the OS is on. Then I downloaded the latest software from Epson. It can not be opened because it comes from "an unknown supplier". It can still be forced open by using "finder" to go and "ctrl" key button. Then click on the file and "open" in the new window. Now one can just install and fortunately everything works back to your liking.

Dec 28, 2013 4:40 PM in response to BGCooper

OK, here's the deal (to the best of my understanding 8•)

1) DRIVER AND SOFWARE UPDATES in Mavericks (Mac10.9) is quite different than what I'm used to. Instead of going online to download then install the drivers I think I need or want you now just open your Mavericks App Store.app, click Store>Updates (or Command+5) and let the App Store.app tell you what's available and you select the ones you want to install. Here's the clincher with this Epson issue: For EPSON Mavericks updates you only can get them this way (Epson doesn't explain why in any knowledge bases I've come across).

2) WHY NO UPDATES AVAIL, the reason I, and probably you, don't see an update available for your EPSON Scan.app is because that's not supported in Mavericks but the good news is that their's a nicer but very similar looking app in Maverics that replaces it called Image Capture.app

3) WIRELESS SCANNER FIX I couldn't use my wireless EPSON printer's scanner with the Image Capture service unless I plugged the printer into my computer with a USB cable until I ditched the USB cable and did this: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&info Type=FAQ&oid=237343&foid=244523&cat=221234

4) MULTI-PAGE SCAN FIX Someone said that Image Capture.app doesn't allow scanning of multiple pages. Well, that's not exactly true. Remember that you can only save multiple pages if your saving in .pdf format and I highly suggest you use your scanner's automatic document feeder (ADF). This' always been the case. Simply change the setting by clicking the Show Details button in the Image Capture.app

5) BONUS HACK: With Image Capture.app open, type in the passcode to unlock it (if neccessary), plug in your phone to your Mac, select it under DEVICES. There's all your phone's pictures you can grab directly from your phone! The old EPSON Scan.app never could do that trick! Go to Image Capture.app's Help tab for the details and how you can even take pictures with your phone while being controlled manually or automatically by your Mac (If you're phone is one of the ones supported for this feature).

Well, hope you learn to prefer Image Capture.app (Keep it in your dock for quick access) and all these secrets work for you but after spending half a day uncovering them all I'm finally back on track!

epson scan no longer works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.