Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outline View missing in Pages 5.0

Pages looses half of its functionality if you cannot use outling when you write.

I see how to make headings and bulleted lists but no way to collapse and expand them.

Does anyone know if this is still possible? There used to be a menu item called Outline View. It's disappeared.

TIA

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 4:25 PM

69 replies

Oct 26, 2013 5:28 PM in response to Old Time Scottish Lad

Onmioutliner Pro. Can't be beat. Drop dead simple to use. Many sophisticated features and scripting if you want to look into it.

What I use to get organized before I begin actual text. But in Pages, I still need to have outlines with expansion and contraction to move around a large document.

The addition I hoped for most in Pages 5.0 was a navigation panel or window that was open separate from the text window. Oh well.

Oct 30, 2013 8:29 AM in response to Mark Lyon1

Yes, I was very disappointed. I have a few documents where I require outline view. I also have Word for Mac, which I use for some client work. I've switched the documents that require outline view from Pages to Word.

Like someone else said, I was waiting for outline view to go to iOS Pages, but instead it got dropped from OS X Pages. Bah, humbug!

Oct 30, 2013 1:02 PM in response to Mark Lyon1

WOW--dropping outline view was a HORRIBLE mistake! I was in the middle of a huge manuscript, had updated Pages, and then opened it up to get working and saw my carefully crafted outline converted into a massive block of text. Lovely--thanks a lot?! This sort of ridiculous mistake starts making Omni Group or Microsoft seem like viable companies again. Where's Steve when you need him? :-(

Outline View missing in Pages 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.