Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Editors Choice" popup on ASC

Is anyone else seeing a popup on the upper right corner of every page on these ASC forums that says:

"Editors Choice: Trouble with Apple-Mac Computers?" and then a link to www.techhelpapps.com and a toll free #?

I can't believe apple would allow anything like that. What could be going on?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 3:42 PM

9 replies

Oct 23, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Peggy

I hadn't realized it either until after this "incident" and I went poking around. It may have been served on some kind of timer, which would explain why it went away without turning off that setting, at least temporarily. Also, that particular ad may have been targetted to Mac help sites or even just this site. I suppose someone could ask the nice folks responsible for Glims. (While I can't blame them for wanting to make some money from a product they've given away thus far and which is so useful, doing it in such a sneaky way is a bit low.)

Incidentlally, the favicon glitch I described above remains.

Oct 23, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Loren Ryter

There is a post mentioning to turn off the "ads/shopping" preference in Safari > Glims. It worked for me and I put it back to check. The default is set to on. I just upgraded to Mavericks.

Oct 25, 2013 9:19 PM in response to Loren Ryter

Yes, the suggestion

alburnham wrote:

turn off the "ads/shopping" preference in Safari > Glims

is what worked. The "ads/shopping" preference, when enabled, seems to have also resulted in adding a (much more annoying) semitransparent iframe from "offers2U", which is also gone. I just upgraded to Mavericks, and spent three hours trying to find the source of the popups/iframe.

"Editors Choice" popup on ASC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.