Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Storage on new Mac Pro options?

What do those who are considering the new Mac Pro plan to do in terms of external storage?

Most likely current Mac Pro users will be using at least a couple of external drives, after all.

All my drives are currently firewire 800 or USB. Should I consider some kind of server rack, and just remove the HDDs from the enclosures? Any recommendations?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 3:45 PM

7 replies

Oct 22, 2013 10:28 PM in response to kaz-k

I've never trusted USB for multiple drives as you can't daisy chain them. Sure, you can connect them all via a hub but now you're looking at a mess of wires and I wonder about the speed trade off as well as the reliability.

Thunderbolt connections for everything seems like an unnecessary expense unless prices go way down.

I like the swappable bays of the old Mac Pros, I'm afraid. But I don't think buying the current ones is a great option either due to obsolecessence. But it's certainly a consideration. Maybe I can get a really good deal on last year's model.

But what I'm really curious about are the options for thunderbolt server racks that would offer the same easy swapability that the current Mac Pros do, and reduce cable clutter and hopefully improve speeds compared to firewire. If it could have 8 or 10 bays that would be great.

External Storage on new Mac Pro options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.