7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 8:21 AM by Loren Ryter
Loren Ryter Level 2 (495 points)

What do those who are considering the new Mac Pro plan to do in terms of external storage?

Most likely current Mac Pro users will be using at least a couple of external drives, after all.

All my drives are currently firewire 800 or USB.  Should I consider some kind of server rack, and just remove the HDDs from the enclosures?  Any recommendations?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPhone 5
  • Klaus1 Level 8 (47,745 points)

Have a look at the Apple Store site, this gives full details of the connectability of the new Mac Pro coming in December.

• Ziatron Level 4 (3,830 points)

Any recommendations?

Load up on current Mac pros. That's what our organization is doing.

Four easily swappable hard drives, and 2 internal Blu-ray drives.

• kaz-k Level 5 (4,390 points)

Put the drives into NAS or/and USB3.0 or/and thunderbolt external case?

• Loren Ryter Level 2 (495 points)

I've never trusted USB for multiple drives as you can't daisy chain them.  Sure, you can connect them all via a hub but now you're looking at a mess of wires and I wonder about the speed trade off as well as the reliability.

Thunderbolt connections for everything seems like an unnecessary expense unless prices go way down.

I like the swappable bays of the old Mac Pros, I'm afraid. But I don't think buying the current ones is a great option either due to obsolecessence. But it's certainly a consideration. Maybe I can get a really good deal on last year's model.

But what I'm really curious about are the options for thunderbolt server racks that would offer the same easy swapability that the current Mac Pros do, and reduce cable clutter and hopefully improve speeds compared to firewire.  If it could have 8 or 10 bays that would be great.

• awgawg Level 1 (5 points)

Not a option for those of use in UK or Europe because withdraw the old Mac Pro from the market in March for sporious fan safety issues.  Also the old Mac Pro was never given a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 interface.

• The hatter Level 9 (60,930 points)

Thunderbolt expansion for the PCIe card(s)

Room for 3-drives with no other PCIe cards.

Your standard external drive case for 8-12 drives.

www.macgurus.com

ARECA Thunderbolt RAID

http://www.macgurus.com/store/Item/ARC8050

www.sonnettech.com

www.macsales.com

• Loren Ryter Level 2 (495 points)

Thanks, hatter. Those sort of products are exactly what I had in mind.  But sheesh, $1000+ for 8-bay USB 3 or $1500 for Thunderbolt?  Or $500+ for 4 bay? And the Mac Pro still is $3000-$4000? Never mind probably needing new displays also…