Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages 5. change languages for different paragraphs?

In Pages '09 I could change the spell check language for different paragraphs by going to the Inspector, then "text" then "more." That appears to be gone now. Does anyone know how to do it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:53 PM

What I found was going to

Edit > Spelling and Grammer > Show Spelling and Grammer

And in the window choosing the desired language from the drop down. This seems to change the language for the whole document. I haven't found a way to specify only one part of the text yet.

3 replies

Oct 22, 2013 7:51 PM in response to Rene G

Thanks Rene! That got me thinking that I didn't test spell check with a new document (where I hadn't set the languages before). It looks like Pages 5 detects the language automatically and changes the spell-checker. Check this out:

User uploaded file

I pasted the first three paragraphs from wikipedia articles and then mispelled one word in each paragraph. Pages found the misspelled words but did not underline the rest.

Then in the last two paragraphs (which I typed), you can see that "gli" was NOT underlined in the Italian sentence but WAS underlined in the English one. I guess this explains why there's no setting for it. It is automatic now.

pages 5. change languages for different paragraphs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.