Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a version of timbuktu pro for mavericks? 8.8.5?

I just downloaded Mavericks and Timbuktu 8.8.4 does not work. I heve searched on line for version 8.8.5 but cannot find it anywhere. Can it be downloaded? Does it exist?

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 5:06 PM

16 replies

Oct 23, 2013 7:45 AM in response to erwinthos

As you may know, Timbuktu for Mac (which used to be developed by Netopia) is now owned by Arris, which purchased the Motorola Home division from Google last spring.

I wanted to let people know that Timbuktu for Mac has been updated to provide support for Mavericks, with a new point release, 8.8.5, which is a free update for anyone who owns any version 8 or above.

The previous version (8.8.4) will load on Mavericks, but won't actually be able to make any TCP connections; 8.8.5 fixes that.

It might be quite a while for the Arris web site to be updated with the new version, so I wanted to provide a link for users to download the update:

via HTTP

tb2mac885.dmg

or via FTP

TimbuktuPro885.dmg

The update is only needed for Mavericks support; there are no other bug fixes or changes, so if you don't plan to upgrade to Mavericks, there's no need to update your Timbuktu version.

Oct 28, 2013 6:32 PM in response to Mike Silverman

Zones file is no longer working for me. There must be a new location for it. I do not think 8.8.5 uses the netopia pref folder in root/lib. It runs normally with or without the netopia folder in there.

Edit: They moved it to user/lib and it works in there

Also, The timbuktu menu item (maybe host daemon as well) does not stay open unless the main app is open now. Anyone seeing this behaviour?

Edit2: When the main app is quit you lose all host/menu app so basically all Timbuktu services are off without the main app.

Oct 29, 2013 7:07 AM in response to Ella Price

Here's how you solve this problem (and regain your old TCP/IP Zones file).

Open the Timbuktu Pro app.

Open it's Preferences.

Under "General" make sure "Only accept incoming connections when the app is open" is UNchecked.

"Save" prefs, Timbuktu will quit and restart (and will ask for the admin permissions)

Once restarted, the host will run all the time to listen for incoming connections and the TCP/IP zones file should be found.

Sometimes that "Only accept" setting gets accidentally enabled when upgrading versions.

Dec 1, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Mike Silverman

Thank you, Mike, for helping me get Timbuktu Pro working with Mavericks. The Read Me file for v8.8.5 was very helpful, too. However, I have a problem with v8.8.5 and Mavericks that has not been mentioned here or in the Read Me:

After the Screen Saver has started, every time a local user (who is Admin) tries to regain control of the Mac by hitting a key, and every time I (as Admin) connect to the Mac via TB2 Pro 8.8.5, to control the Mac, the textured-gray login screen appears and requires entry of the the Admin password.

This demand for password entry occurs despite the fact that

Dec 1, 2013 9:46 AM in response to ccc3rd

The discussions.apple.com server cut me off at Dec 1, 2013 8:45 AM before I finished typing my question. I tried to complete my question by editing it, but the server would not allow me to edit my post, because (the server said) was down for maintenance. So now I'll try to post my question from scratch. -Chuck (ccc3rd)

- - -

Thank you, Mike, for helping me get Timbuktu Pro working with Mavericks. The Read Me file for v8.8.5 was very helpful. However, I have a problem with v8.8.5 and Mavericks that has not been mentioned here or in the Read Me file. In the Read Me file, a problem involving the "secure screen saver" is mentioned; and that problem may be related to my present problem; but the Read Me file does not tell me how to solve my present problem.

I am running TB2 8.8.5 under Mac OS X v10.8.5, and trying to control a remote Mac in which TB2 8.8.5 runs under Mac OS X v10.9 Mavericks. My Mac is a MacBook Pro 17" (bought new in December 2010). The remote Mac is an iMac bought new in Sept. 2008. TB2 is connecting via the Internet. Both machines have fast connections. I connect as a "Timbuktu user." Prior to upgrading the OS to Mavericks in the remote Mac, I was using TB2 Pro 8.8.4 in both Macs; in both Macs, my Timbuktu Preferences and general setup were the same as they are now; System Preferences were also the same except for the minor differences between the System Preferences options offered in Mavericks; and I was having no problem with TB2. Now, however:

After the regular Mavericks Screen Saver has started in the remote Mac, whenever a local user (who is Admin) tries to stop the Screen Saver and regain control of the Mac by hitting a key, and whenever I (as Admin) connect to the remote Mac to control it via TB2 Pro 8.8.5, the textured-gray login screen appears and requires entry of the the Admin password.

This demand for password entry occurs despite the fact that "Require password [immediately] after sleep or screen saver begins" os NOT checked in System Preferences | Security & Privacy | General.

This demand for password entry occurs regardless of whether a Timbuktu connection has occurred since the sleep saver started.

It's easy for me to type the Admin password when it's required, but it is NOT easy for the local user to type it because she is disabled. She can perform routine tasks such as e-mailing, web-browsing, and managing her iPhoto library fairly well by herself; but she relies on me to maintain her Mac. (In case you're wondering, no "Accessibility" features are being used.)

How can I stop these constant/frequent demands for password entry?

FYI, I have used TB2 for ten years and have bought five single-user licenses. So far only one of the four computers that I maintain remotely via TB2 has had its OS upgraded to Mavericks. I am waiting for this TB2 bug to be fixed before I upgrade any more computers. If this bug is not fixed soon, then I will have to switch from TB2 to another remote-access/control tool. I like TB2 and I'd really like to stick with it, so I hope you can help me.

Thank you. - Chuck.

Is there a version of timbuktu pro for mavericks? 8.8.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.