Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with Mavericks and NFS home directories

After upgrading, the automount doesn't mount NFS home directories anymore from the Open Directory mounts node. The automount is set to /Volumes/nfshome however automount no longer creates the directory nfshome in Volumes and it dies with a message saying there is no such mount point.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 5:36 PM

17 replies

Oct 24, 2013 5:10 AM in response to Guru Evi

I was able to copy mine (as a backup) then delete them. Not as easy as before so I would assume this is a bug but here is a possible workaround.

They seem to all be .plist file. To see them...

sudo ls /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts/

...then copy them...

sudo cp /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts/<file.plist> /Users/<yourID>/Desktop

(do this for all of your .plist files)

...then delete them...

sudo rm /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts/<file.plist>

Then reboot (may be another way but I am no expert, that is for sure)

If you want to update them, it is even a bigger pain. You have to copy them to your Desktop (or someplace that you can get to them), change permissions on the file so you can edit it, then edit the .plist file in something like xcode (free from Apple from the App Store). Once you have it edited, then use the sudo cp command above (but in reverse) to send the edited version back to the /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts folder. I just reboot after it was done.

Not wanting to have to do that every time I made a change, I backed out my new changes and remounted them using the method from this blog...

http://yourmacguy.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/osx-automount/

...but they cannot go into /Volumes/ anymore so I put them in /Users/Shared/Mounts/ so that all users on my iMac can get to the shares.

HTH

PS - I am totally not an expert on this so if anybody has a better way, let us know. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2013 5:20 AM in response to Guru Evi

I just thought I wold chime in. I have the same issues. I have varioius mounts defined in Open Directory. Users worked fine for me and mounted on /Network/Servers as it is supposed to, My users Group mounts worked as well. I had an export defined as what OSX server calls a 'Shared Library' which typically mounts in /Network/Library. This did not work. All the exports are defined in and exported from an OSX Server 10.7. My OD server is 10.8

Further, anything defined on the local computer in /Local/Default just does not seem to work at all for me, no matter where I set the mount point. Like it has been said, once added you can not delete or edit the entries in either dscl or the Directory Utility.

I was able to get mounts to work by dirrectly adding maps to the auto_master file as hadfiiw suggested. This was all done in a test to deploy Mavericks in our environment. So far, looks flaky. I like using OD with minimal config on the clients. I have been doing this without a hitch since 10.5. Hopefully Apple will fix this as this clearly looks like a bug. It seems to me that you should be able to use a map in auto_master to a OD mount, but I was unable to get that to work. But then again, I have never worked directly with automount before, so it is all new to me.

Dec 6, 2013 2:28 PM in response to Guru Evi

I just tried setting up a simple NFS mount to a local Ubuntu Virtual Machine I have hosted on my Macbook Air. I just spent hours preparing this VM thinking I would get faster file access using NFS. It's a reasonable presumption. NFS is supported on all Unix machines, including Mac OSX. It has become as ubiquitous as HTTP for server administrators. NFS is the protocol you can count on to permanently share file systems between *nix machines.

Please fix! This has to be a business critical issue to so many people. Add my name to the list of folks who have been bitten by this.

Dec 7, 2013 2:57 AM in response to Guru Evi

Same problem here since upgrading to Mavericks. Very disappointing to see that my all devices (Linux, Windows, Android, Openelec) can connect to NFS no problem and my Macbook cannot. 😟 This is a critical problem for me !!!

As a long time Mac user I feel Apple is letting us down more and more lately. Whenever there was a problem like this in the old days it was just a matter of waiting for the next update which would take at most two weeks, and then the problem would be fixed. Now I have all these weird issues, like the DNS issues I have since Mavericks and they just persist. I love the OSX platform but I am very aware I am paying double for the hardware to be able to run OSX. As time passes I see less reasons to not make the switch to Linux...

Dec 26, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Guru Evi

I was having the problem that I could mount NFS mounts manually just fine, but automounts failed with "Operation not permitted".

I just found out that my NFS options in my automounter map files (auto_master etc) were being ignored in favor of the options in autofs.conf's AUTOMOUNT_MNTOPTS setting.

I found this by setting AUTOMOUNT_TRACE to 5 in autofs.conf and watching what happened during an attempted automount in the Console.app.

The solution for me was to set my mount options in the autofs.conf file.

BTW, in case its helpful, my mount options are rw,bg,hard,intr,resvport,nosuid,nodev,noac,nfc,tcp,vers=3. I'm connecting to NAS devices that run Linux internally.

Apr 4, 2014 1:19 AM in response to hadfiiw

In Hadfiiw's reply it said -

They seem to all be .plist file. To see them...

sudo ls /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts/

...then copy them...

sudo cp /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts/<file.plist> /Users/<yourID>/Desktop

(do this for all of your .plist files)

...then delete them...

sudo rm /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts/<file.plist>

Then reboot (may be another way but I am no expert, that is for sure)

I was experiencing a similar nightmare with my NAS automounts, the auto_master file wasn't pointing to the required mounts yet the OS was still showing a mount error on doing sudo automount -cv

Thanks to this thread I was able to identify and locate the .plist files as described which were the root 😝 of the problem, but rather than the described process to delete them I just logged in as root 😉 and deleted them... far easier 🙂

Now my automounts work as required with one minor tweak to make /Volumes visible for Aperture and iTunes to establish their connections.

Thanks

Andrew

Apr 17, 2014 1:44 AM in response to Guru Evi

My experiance with this is the following

For ages i had a NFS mount to my nas server, Created using Directory Utility and setup with my preferred options. I needed to do a PRAM reset to fix another issue with a misplaced mouse cursor I had in several applications after upgrade to Mavericks, apparently this also blow away my nas mount.

Creating a new nas entry with RecordName nas:/mnt/Data (nas is ny server name) works well until I started to add atributes to it because Directory Utility return Unknown error code (4104) on save.

Looking in /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts show a file with the name nas:%2Fmnt%2FData.plist

from here on the record can't be deleted or managed using dscl, I tried

sudo dscl /Local/Default -list Mounts

nas:/mnt/Data

Trying to delete the record ALL returned various errors, I tried with/without backslashes and double backslaches as suggested in other threads, but no luck

sudo dscl /Local/Default -delete /Mounts/nas:/mnt/Data

sudo dscl /Local/Default -delete /Mounts/nas:\/mnt\/Data

both returning <dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14009 (eDSUnknownNodeName)

sudo dscl /Local/Default -delete /Mounts/nas:\\/mnt\\/Data

returning <dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14136 (eDSRecordNotFound)

or Directory Utility which throw the 4104 error on every save, so I deleted the file in /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts with sudo rm nas:%2Fmnt%2FData.plist

So to make this work I created a new record with a name CRAP, added all the attributes, hitting save multiple times and the last thing is did, was to change the RecordName to nas:/mnt/Data a saved it. (Directory Utility throw a final 4104 error, but RecordName was changed to my nfs path)

!!!! Be aware that no changes works after the rename !!!!!

From here my nfs is mounted and works fine :-)

So, my conclution is that Mavericks can't deal with %2F as a slash, niether in Directory Utility or dscl.

wonder how long it will take Apple to fix this? 😉

Issue with Mavericks and NFS home directories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.