Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 6.1 problems

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest Safari (6.1) without downloading Mavericks OSX and it's really buggy. It doesn't fuction properly at all... I reset the computer and I also did a shut down but to no avail. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I've always upgraded without any problems... not sure why this is happening...

What can/should I do?

Thanks in advance

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:59 PM

Do you have any Safari plugins like GLIMS installed? If so, you have to remove it first using their uninstaller or update to the new version (coming soon).

Have you tried repairing permissions?

32 replies

Oct 23, 2013 9:31 AM in response to James Ferguson

I have not opted for Mavericks yet, but foolishly upgraded Safari.

On my MacBook Air the update to Safari 6.1 appears to be fine.

On my iMac, it's a mess. I can't get Safari to do anything, and it's repeatedly crashing. I can't do anything to try and fix the problem because I can't get Safari to do anything at all. Preferences won't open. Short of going into Time Machine and reverting to yesterday's version of my iMac, how can I try to reinstall Safari 6.1?

Is this intended to make older macs useless?

Oct 23, 2013 3:59 PM in response to Palikaris

Adding to the catalogue of Safari 6.1 problems: Apple seems intent on disabling functionality of bookmarks.

With 6.1 (Safari 7 for Mavericks), they've increased the number of steps/clicks a user encounters when adding and editing a bookmark, they've either hidden or disabled the bookmark management page and replaced it with the sidebar, and as of now, I still haven't found a way to thoroughly scan and search my bookmarks.

For those of us who perform research professionally and have hundreds of folders and thousands of bookmarks, the bookmark management page provided a one-stop shop -- a thorough visual overview -- for organizing our work progress, generating new "hunt" ideas, and searching for sub-files and sub-folders via keyword -- and all with a quick or leisurely eye scan-and-scroll of the page.

Now, Safari is a hunt-and-peck piecemeal ordeal, fine for casual web surfers perhaps, but unfit for business and academic professionals who could once count on Safari to keepsafe our hard work.

Bring back the bookmark management page. No more "Safari Lite".

Oct 23, 2013 5:09 PM in response to 1flight

Hi, 1flight!

Yes, Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks does open to a rough and raw version of the once great Bookmark Manager -- albeit a very restrained and dumbed down view. However, it is a *far* cry from the orderly arrangement pro users could count on before Safari 6.1 (a/k/a Safari 7) and lacks the readily visual workflow detail.

Those problems notwithstanding, I appreciate your input 🙂

Oct 23, 2013 5:21 PM in response to ESPRESSO_ME

Very good points E_M

I have another issue with Safari 6.1 - When I log on to PayPal, some items are displayed with a plus sign to their left. Clicking on the plus sign should expand the item to provide further details. However, with Safari 6.1, a new page is delivered that has an error message, as follows:

"You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks."

In order to access the expanded details, I now have to go to FireFox.

Does anybody else get the same problem in Safari 6.1?

Oct 23, 2013 5:29 PM in response to James Ferguson

Hi James, I did have Glims and I unistalled it and I downloaded the latest one again and reinstalled it and now everything seems okay... Not sure why this happened in the first place!

But Apple had some problems with the last upgrade for Apple tv not too long ago and now has this with Safari... What's going on Apple? I've been upgrading since System 7!!! I had never since this before!

Thanks to all the feedback and suggestions from everyone. I hope everyone gets their Safari working normally again!

Oct 23, 2013 6:10 PM in response to Palikaris

I now have cache problems with this new version of Safari. I do a lot of work on User Experience design with Axure and prototypes are output to Safari - until this release I had no problems, all my updates would refresh my page to reflect new changes. Since I upgraded yesterday any interactive elements I add do not update, and after much trial and error I have determined that the cache is reloading the previous page elements rather than the new ones. I have turned off whatever cache settings I can find to no avail - refreshing or closing and reloading the page doesn't work. The only thing that works is to quit, or use the Develop menu to clear the cache. Everything's fine in Firefox.

safari 6.1 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.