Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 conversion failed

Updating to imovie 10 it locked during the conversion process. I had to force quit the app. Now iMovie 10 shows no media or project files when I start it. iMovie 9 still shows all the media. How can i re-initate the conversion process?

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:23 PM

24 replies

Oct 22, 2013 7:06 PM in response to etaggart

Same thing happened to me! As it was trying to convert the videos to imovie 10 format, it said some of my videos had components that were missing. Then it locked up. Had to force quit, and now imovie lists the videos, but they're like empty jars. no data.

Found imovie 9 still on my mac and validated that the movies and raw footage are still there and working.

Wondering if I should delete iMovie 10 and reinstall to get it to re-import the imovie 9 data again...

Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2013 7:12 PM in response to Ol Dirty

Making progress. Don't delete iMovie 10 as I was not able to reinstall it from the app store.. It said it was already installed. Luckily I had a Time Machine backup of iMovie 10.. whew..

I have had some luck by using the "update projects and events" menu item under the file menu. You may need to delete the text file "UpdatedToiMovie10" in the iMovie events directory to get it to take..

Oct 23, 2013 10:31 AM in response to mikepotter

Same problem here. I deleted the new iMovie Library and the iMovie theater as well as the small files named updated to iMovie 10 within the Events and the Projects folders. Restarted Movie and did "update projects and events" and did get repopulated with my stuff. Can't seem to sort by date....running slow..just feels unstable. This was my second try doing this and the first time when I reopened iMovie, everything was gone and the inerface was messed up so I'm keeping my pixels crossed. Good luck.

Oct 23, 2013 10:47 AM in response to etaggart

OK; just answered my own question. There is a drop-down menu when you highlight iMovie Library under Files. However it comes back and states you will still be able to access your original Library with iMovie 9. That is probably why I am having issues. My iMovie Library is 750 GB; duplicating is 1.5 TB and I only have a 2 TB HD. Any thoughts other than dumping stuff?

Oct 23, 2013 10:52 AM in response to nerval

I also solved my issue the same way as described.

In iMovie:

File -> Update Projects and Events

For me, one of my projects crashed iMovie, so I was seeing nothing. I watched the events that it was importing, and then moved the one it had tried to import before it crashed (I moved it to my desktop).

Then, I ran Update Projects and Events again, and everything went through fine.

So, if you're having problems, just look for the event that is causing the crash, move it out of the iMovie Events folder, and keep trying. Repeat for each event that is causing a crash.

(As a side note I was able to import that event after when it was the only event in iMovie Events).

iMovie 10 conversion failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.