Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove google chrome hard drive icon from desktop

I downloaded Google Chrome and I can't remember how to remove the white harddrive icon from my desktop without either ejecting it (which means it pops back every time I click on it in my dock), or deleting it. Also when it's in the dock it only shows up as a question mark anyway. Thank

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 10:35 PM

Click on your desktop, so it says Finder at the top menu bar. Click Finder >> Preferences >> Unlick "External disks". I know, it annoyed me too.

6 replies

Dec 13, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Sofiya Kukharenko

I found that unchecking the "external disks" didn't help. I had dragged the icon from my desktop to my task bar instead of dragging the icon from applications folder to my task bar. The result was each time I clicked on the icon on the task bar it thought it was reinstalling the google chrome browser which was actually already installed. Drag any icons you want in your task bar from the applications folder to avoid this issue.

How to remove google chrome hard drive icon from desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.